Simple, seasonal, and refreshing. This AIP, Paleo, Whole30, Keto summer cucumber salad sticks to the basics while making the most of this seasons bounty. A perfect snack or great side for grilled fish, meats, or even a hearty pasta dish.
The Quintessential Summer Salad
When it’s hot out, it can be hard to get inspired in the kitchen. Sometimes food really does just need to be fuel… But that doesn’t mean it can’t also be yummy. Not to mention- if you get a CSA or have a garden- the cucumber is going to be boomin’ this time of year. So what do you do when you are hot and tired but have a ton of cucumbers to deal with? You guessed it… cucumber salad.
This cucumber salad is the perfect Keto, Paleo, Whole30, AIP summer side dish. Packed with vitamins, minerals, and electrolytes– this refreshing dish will keep come together in just a few steps without turning on any appliances. It’s win-win: you have a delicious snack or a super versatile side dish and you stay cool as a yep…. cucumber. Oh and the best part is that this is the kind of salad that gets BETTER when it sits in the fridge- so if you want to make a larger batch and come back to it tomorrow, you definitely can.
Grab Your Ingredients
Keep it simple with delicious seasonal produce!
- Japanese cucumber, or any variety
- Cilantro (or parsley for the cilantro haters)
- Red Onion
Step By Step Cucumber Salad
This salad is really easy to make! Meaning, it’s not actually 8 distinct steps… we just wanted to include lots of pictures for you! The main thing to keep in mind is to keep your cucumber slices consistent. It’s nice for them to be thick enough for some crunch- but thin enough to mix well. We have plenty of close-up shots here so you can get a sense of the thickness.
- Start by washing and drying your cucumbers.
- Now slice them diagonally in 1/8 inch thick slices. You can also use a mandolin for consistency.
- Next, toss the cucumbers in a bowl with the salt. Mix in the minced cilantro and shaved red onion- you can also use the mandolin for shaving the onion if you want.
- When all the veggies are in the bowl, squeeze in the lime juice and drizzle in the olive oil. Mix well.
- Lastly, cover the salad and let it sit in the fridge for 15-30 minutes before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Of course! You can get as creative as you like depending on what you can eat.
It’s okay! Those are particularly yummy and well suited for this kind of salad… But really any cucumber you have can make this salad work.
Looking for more free recipes?
Simple, seasonal, and refreshing. An AIP, Keto, Whol30, and Paleo dish that makes the perfect snack or great side for grilled fish, meats, or even a hearty pasta dish.
- 2 Japanese Cucumbers
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro, minced
- 1/4 large red onion, shaved
- 3 limes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Wash and dry your cucumbers. Slice diagonally in 1/8 inch thick slices.
- Toss in a large bowl with the salt.
- Mix in the minced cilantro and shaved red onion.
- Squeeze in the lime juice and drizzle in the olive oil.
- Mix well. Cover and let it sit in the fridge for 15-30 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: 1/4 salad
- Calories: 91.5
- Fat: 7.25g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: summer cucumber salad paleo vegan whole30 aip