After my first autoimmune protocol elimination diet, I learned that nightshade plants are off-limits for me and with that delicious, fresh, chunky salsa. It’s been a few years but I finally nailed a beautiful and delicious AIP Salsa Verde. Nightshades include tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and potatoes and for a lot of people can be the cause of much inflammation. While this salsa is free of tomatoes and peppers, it’s delicious, very inventive, and very satisfying.
Table of Contents
How do you make salsa without tomatoes or peppers?
You do it with a lot of creativity! For the green, the verde and the tomato replacement I used kiwi! Make sure they’re not too ripe or the salsa will be too sweet. Kiwi has a wonderful texture and it feels and looks like green tomato in this nightshade free AIP Salsa Verde! Capers add umami and horseradish adds some heat.
Nightshade Free Salsa Ingredients
- Kiwi our tomato substitute and lends great texture and flavor to our AIP Salsa Verde base.
- Red onion gives this salsa color variety and brunch!
- Capers lend umami and salty flavor which brings this Salsa Verde flavor home!
- Horseradish is our nightshade-free spicy secret weapon. Get fresh horseradish and use a Microplane to grate 2-3 teaspoons. You can use prepared horseradish too!
- Ground ginger also adds some spice to this salsa verde.
- I have a Cuisinart 14 cup food processor, it’s a workhorse!
Super Easy AIP Salsa
Dice your red onion, peel and kiwi, trim your cilantro, peel your garlic. Put everything in the food processor. Juice the lemons over everything.
Just pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl and serve. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
Frequently Asked Question
Yes, I think sweet onion would be best.
Yes, use 4. You could also use red wine vinegar if you can’t do citrus.
You can use parsley!
You can finely chop everything with a knife! Or pulse in your blender.
Cassava flour tortillas, over pulled pork in a taco bowl. Make AIP Salsa Verde Chicken!
More Nightshade Free Sauces
Looking for more free recipes?
A delicious and fresh salsa that’s AIP!
- 6 kiwi peeled and diced
- 1/2 large red onion (1 one medium)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems trimmed
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons finely grated horseradish
- 1/2 tablespoon capers
- Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until finely minced.
- Serve right away.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 29.1
- Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 0.7g
Keywords: AIP Salsa Verde