I’ve made this chopped chicken and apple salad three days in a row. It was born out of a quick, weeknight dinner with the new beau and turned into an addiction! Both of us can’t get enough. It’s refreshing, sweet, tangy, crunchy, and savory. This simple and bright salad hits all the right flavor notes and it is easy to make!
The PERFECT Chopped Salad
The secret to the perfect chopped salad is that everything is diced to the same size. This chopped chicken and apple salad have the perfect bite each time. Juicy lemon pepper chicken, sweet and crispy apple and pear, toasted walnuts, salty bacon, and tangy red onion. Everything is chopped and tossed in a creamy but light Sweet Onion Dressing!
Chopped Salad Ingredients
Perfect for summer, this chopped chicken and apple salad uses simple ingredients you probably have on hand!
- Bacon: I like using Applegate Sunday Bacon, Butcher Box Bacon, or Pederson Farms Bacon.
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs: I love these because they’re juicier and more affordable than chicken breast. Bonus, they get really crispy!
- Asian pear: This is what I used because they’re really common in Hawai’i, but you can use any kind of pear.
- Chopped Onions: Dried onions are key for the dressing! I like this brand.
- Primal Kitchen Mayo: You can make your own, I have a great recipe, but Primal Kitchen mayo is also a staple in my kitchen.
- Redmond Lemon Pepper: A good lemon pepper seasoning is a great kitchen tool. I love Redmond Real Salt because they don’t use additives.
Step by Step Chopped Chicken Salad
All of the cooked components of this salad come together in one skillet. You will also need a cutting board and a blender or a food processor, a small one is ideal.
- Start by cooking your bacon in a large skillet. Then season your chicken liberally with lemon pepper.
- While the bacon cooks dice the onion and fruit into small and even pieces.
- Remove the bacon from the skillet and add the seasoned chicken.
- While the chicken cooks toast and chop the walnuts.
- Chop the greens and toss with salt and veggies.
- Make the dressing then chop up the proteins.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the dressing and toss with tongs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use 2 apples, I would use smaller apples in this case.
If you’re not into bacon, leave it out. This first time I made this, it was sans bacon. I think it’s better with. Alternatively, you can add in parmesan cheese.
If you want to make it ahead of time you can, just leave out the greens until ready to serve.
Looking for more free recipes?
Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
Chopped Chicken & Apple Salad with Sweet Onion Dressing
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: Salad
- Cuisine: Summer
- Diet: Gluten Free
Fresh, sweet, tangy and crunchy this is the PERFECT chopped salad!
For the Salad
- 5 slices bacon
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 apple, small dice
- 1 pear, small dice
- 1/2 red onion, small dice
- 4 cups mixed greens, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
For the dressing
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 2 tablespoons dried chopped onion
- pinch of salt
- In a large, hot skillet, cook bacon strips until crispy, about 5 minutes per side on medium-high heat.
- While the bacon cooks, season the chicken thighs liberally with 1 teaspoon lemon pepper and 1 teaspoon salt. Once the bacon is crispy set it aside and put the chicken thighs in the skillet.
- Cook on medium-high heat for 6 minutes per side or until browned, crispy, and cooked through.
- In the meantime, prepare the pears, apples, and walnuts.
- Chopp your greens and combine in a large bowl with the pear, apple, walnuts, a pinch of salt, and chopped-up bacon. When the chicken is ready, chop it up and add it to the bowl too. Remember to chop everything in small dice.
- To make the dressing combine all of the ingredients in a blender or small food processor. Blend until smooth. Pro tip: Soak the dried onion in the vinegar prior to blending so they soften.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well. Taste and add more salt or lemon pepper if desired.
- Serve right away and dig in.
- To make this salad AIP: use my egg-free mayo for the dressing. Use garlic and lemon on the chicken, skip the pepper Omit the walnuts.
- To make this Whole30: omit the maple syrup from the dressing, use 2 dates or 2 tablespoons apple sauce instead.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 429
- Fat: 28g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 18g
Keywords: Chopped chicken and apple salad
Leave a Comment