Fresh, sweet, tangy and crunchy this is the PERFECT chopped salad!
For the Salad
- 5 slices bacon
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 apple, small dice
- 1 pear, small dice
- 1/2 red onion, small dice
- 4 cups mixed greens, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
For the dressing
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 2 tablespoons dried chopped onion
- pinch of salt
- In a large, hot skillet, cook bacon strips until crispy, about 5 minutes per side on medium-high heat.
- While the bacon cooks, season the chicken thighs liberally with 1 teaspoon lemon pepper and 1 teaspoon salt. Once the bacon is crispy set it aside and put the chicken thighs in the skillet.
- Cook on medium-high heat for 6 minutes per side or until browned, crispy, and cooked through.
- In the meantime, prepare the pears, apples, and walnuts.
- Chopp your greens and combine in a large bowl with the pear, apple, walnuts, a pinch of salt, and chopped-up bacon. When the chicken is ready, chop it up and add it to the bowl too. Remember to chop everything in small dice.
- To make the dressing combine all of the ingredients in a blender or small food processor. Blend until smooth. Pro tip: Soak the dried onion in the vinegar prior to blending so they soften.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well. Taste and add more salt or lemon pepper if desired.
- Serve right away and dig in.
- To make this salad AIP: use my egg-free mayo for the dressing. Use garlic and lemon on the chicken, skip the pepper Omit the walnuts.
- To make this Whole30: omit the maple syrup from the dressing, use 2 dates or 2 tablespoons apple sauce instead.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 429
- Fat: 28g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 18g
Keywords: Chopped chicken and apple salad