This Paleo Strawberry Shortcake is what summer dreams are made of! This decadent and squeaky clean dessert came about on a whim. I actually combined two of my existing recipes with a few tweaks and whoa… NAILED IT!
Not Your Usual Paleo Strawberry Shortcake
This paleo strawberry shortcake uses a wonderfully flaky and crumbly almond biscuit, paired with cooked down ripe berries and thick, tart, creamy yogurt! A healthy twist on a classic treat that doesn’t actually taste like it’s good for you. It tastes decadent and rich but also goes downlight. The perfect festive treat for summer events (even if they only include you and yours).
Shortcake Work Flow
The biscuit recipe is a riff on my Sugar-Free Breakfast Muffins, and you whip those up and put them in the oven while the berries cook down. Yes, you could use fresh berries, but honey, the sweet, syrupy berries all but make up for lack of sugar in the recipe and take it to the next level. The cooked-down strawberries and essentially my Blueberry Compote made with berries, tripling the recipe!
If you’ve made either of those recipes you know just how easy they are. Don’t be put off by the multi-step process in the recipe box. These truly come together effortlessly! Your entire family is going to LOVE this paleo strawberry shortcake recipe!
I used Siggi’s Triple Cream yogurt because I’m able to eat good quality dairy in small amounts now, but you may also use the Coconut Yogurt recipe in Made Whole, or my Probiotic Greek Yogurt Recipe made with cashews, or a spoonful of coconut cream and keep is extra simple! This paleo strawberry shortcake is all about summertime… when the living’s easy….
Step by Step Shortcake
- Make the strawberry compote.
- Make your biscuits!
- Slice open your biscuit and layer on compote…
- Then a dollop of cream or yogurt!
- DIG IN! Experience paleo strawberry shortcake bliss!
Check Out These Talented Ladies!
Fit Slow Cooker Queen – slow cooker and low carb recipes
I Am Simply Flor – Whole30 and Latin flavors
The Kitchenista Diaries – home chef comfort food
Confessions of a Clean Foodie- stunning paleo recipes, low carb too
Immaculate Bites – African and Caribbean recipes
Sweet Savant – chef life, cooking demos, local ingredients
Orchids and Sweet Tea – dairy-free, vegetarian recipes
Back to this Paleo Strawberry Short Cake! Get your Ingredients Ready!
Almond meal, eggs, powdered stevia, baking powder (grain-free options here), coconut flour, Real salt, avocado oil, lots of strawberries….. ready… go!
Looking for more free recipes?
Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
Paleo Strawberry Shortcake (gluten free, grain free, dairy free)
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 5 shortcakes 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
Paleo Strawberry Shortcake is made with a buttery almond flour biscuit, decadent strawberry compote, and rich creamy yogurt. A healthy twist on a classic summer treat.
For the Strawberries
- 2 pounds ripe strawberries, fresh
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup, honey, 1/4 tsp stevia or granulated sweetener of choice (erythritol works too).
- pinch of salt
For the Biscuits
- 2 cups fine almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (see this post for paleo recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 tsp Pyure Stevia extract (or 1/4 cup honey)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup avocado oil (or melted ghee)
- Full Fat Triple Cream Yogurt, Greek Yogurt, Coconut Yogurt or Coconut Cream
- Rinse your strawberries thoroughly. Trim the tops and dice up. Add all of the berries to a medium sauce pot. Cook over medium heat.
- Stir in the salt and stir well. Cook here, stirring occasionally and mashing them up until the berries begin to break down and release liquid. Stir in the sweetener and keep cooking down (this takes about 30 minutes altogether). When you run a wooden spoon through the mix it should leave streaks so you see the bottom of the pot, that’s how you know it’s thick enough.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a sheet pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Then make a well in the center and add in the wet ingredients. Whisk the eggs and oil thoroughly until thick and creamy. Then fold it into the dry mix.
- Use a spatula to mix until a dough forms. Shape 5 buns, biscuit shapes and place them on the sheet pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes-30 minutes until they are fluffy and lightly browned on top.
- Remove from the oven, let cool and enjoy.
- Slice in half like a bun, spoon the strawberry compote generously on the bottom half then top with a dollop of something creamy! Enjoy right away!
- Assemble these right before you serve them. All the components keep really well at room temperature so you can bake ahead of time and then serve later.
- I have not tried this recipe with flour substitutions.
- Macros are with stevia-sweetened compote
- Serving Size: 1 shortcake
- Calories: 541
- Fat: 45g
- Carbohydrates: 15.5g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Protein: 14g
Keywords: paleo strawberry shortcake
Leave a Comment