Made Turkey & Garbanzo soup on a whim, but it turned out so yum I’m giving it a permanent home on my blog. It’s got major Caribbean flavors with ripe plantain and sweet potato. Perfect for fall! I used my beet sauce to keep it tomato-free. It’s chock full of lean protein and gut-healthy prebiotic fibers.
Table of Contents
Turkey Soup with Garbanzo? On THIS Blog?
Yes, after 6 years on a paleo template, with mostly AIP or low carb thrown in the mix… I have added some foods back into my diet. After all, that is the goal of healing your gut! I still stick to whole foods, healthy fats and quality protein, but am enjoying some legumes and grains too!
This Caribbean Inspired Soup
There’s something about flavors from home! While I’m currently living in Northern Virginia, not for long, I still love tropical flavors. This instant pot soup combines flavors from my Cuban culture in a simple soup that fits my needs.
- Ground turkey – I wanted a lean protein for this soup because I’m lifting weights again and lean proteins helps me build muscle.
- Onions, Celery, Garlic – these are my nightshade free sofrito combo. These base of flavor.
- Ripe plantain- this adds wonderful sweet notes to the soup with gut health prebiotic starch.
- Sweet potato- adds hearty starch thats filling and also good for muscle glycogen recovery.
- Beet Marinara- you can also use tomato sauce or paste, but I use this recipe because I don’t eat tomatoes.
- Bone broth- for gut healing animo acids.
- Garbanzo beans – I used Eden canned garbanzo beans because they’re soaked and pressure cooked, which make them easier to digest! Chickpeas or garbanzos are delicious with lots of fiber and decent protein.
How to Make this Caribbean Inspired Instant Pot Soup
Looking for more free recipes?
A super easy and delicous Caribbean Inspired Turkey and Garbanzo soup!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 celery leaf stalk, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons fine salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black peppeer
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon oregano powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 small sweet potato, diced
- 1 ripe plantain, diced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce or Beet NoMato
- 3 cups bone broth
- 1 can garbanzo beans (with fluid)
- Heat your pressure cooker on saute mode. Drizzle oil into the pot. Once its hot add in the onion, celery, garlic and bay leaves. Saute until tender.
- Add in the turkey and break up with a spatula, mixing frequently until browned and crumbled.
- Mix in the salt and seasonings then add in the plantain and sweet potato.
- Mix well and add in the tomato sauce, then the bone broth and garbanzos.
- Stir well. Cancel the saute function. Close the lid and set to cook on medium pressure for 15 minutes.
- Once it’s done, release the pressure. Stir well. Serve with lime and minced cilantro.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 359
- Fat: 12.9g
- Carbohydrates: 33.2g
- Fiber: 5.7g
- Protein: 31.5g
Keywords: Turkey and Garbanzo Soup