The perfect tailgate recipe, these stuffed sweet potato skins are Whole30 compliant and easily made AIP. Just because you’re on your September Whole30 doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the game with some great eats. Sugar-Free Ground Italian Sausage mixed with creamy sweet potato mash and piled high on a crispy sweet potato skin!
Table of Contents
Super Ingredients for Super Snacks
A great Whole30 appetizer starts with great ingredients. I get the Sugar Free Meal Prep Bundle from Pederson’s because it’s an amazing deal and it helps a lot of people. With each purchase, 50 meals are donated to people in my area via Feeding America! I just love ingredients with a purpose, makes these epic stuffed sweet potato skins taste even better!
- Sugar Free Italian Ground Sausage for a delicous filling!
- Small garnet sweet potatoes, make sure to pick out small ones for perfect appertizer size.
- Whole30 approved mayo as the base for your easy sauce. (code CASTAWAY for 10% off)
- Spicy brown mustard to mix with the mayo.
Sweet Potato Never Looked So Good!
These are pretty easy to make and so delicious. If you’re extra into football you can even make laces with the aioli on top! I love this recipe because you can roast the potatoes and cook the sausage ahead of time and heat and assemble before serving to make it super easy. Even if you’re not into football, you can make these beautiful stuffed sweet potato skins for any occasion.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can, but if you’re not using Sugar-Free Italian Sausage you’ll need to season your ground meat accordingly.
Not sure why you would want to 😉 But yes, you can use seasoned chick peas for the filling too.
In my first cookbook Made Whole.
Looking for more free recipes?
Stunning appetizer that’s easy to make and totally delicious! Bonus it’s Whole30 compliant!
- 3 small sweet potatoes (2–3 inches long)
- 1 pound Pederson’s Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Whole30 approved mayo
- 2 tablespoons spicy mustard
- Pickled red onions
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Wash and dry your sweet potato. Use a fork to poke folks all over it. Set on a sheet pan and bake for 45 minutes or until cooked through. Remove the potatoes from the oven, let them cool.
- While the sweet potatoes cool, heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Crumble the ground sausage into the skillet and cook, breaking it apart with a spatula until browned and crumbly, about 10 minutes. Set aside. Keep the skillet on the stove over medium heat.
- Cut the potatoes in half. Scoop out most of the meat, leaving a thin layer on the skins. Mix the ground sausage and the sweet potato mash in a bowl with nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and salt.
- Add the olive oil to the skillet and place the sweet potato skin in the oil. Cook 2-3 minutes a side until toasty. Use tongs to transfer them to a plate or board. Use a spoon to fill the skins with the Italian Sausage mix.
- Mix the mayo and mustard together in a small bowl and drizzle over the stuffed potato skins. Add desired toppings. Serve and enjoy!
- for AIP use plain ground pork and season with salt, garlic powder, sage and onion powder (1 tsp each)
- Skip the mayo and mustard
- Serving Size: 1 potato skin
- Calories: 258.3
- Sugar: 2.6g
- Sodium: 515.1
- Fat: 17.6g
- Saturated Fat: 5.2g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 13g
Keywords: Stuffed Sweet Potato Skins