Stunning appetizer that’s easy to make and totally delicious! Bonus it’s Whole30 compliant!
- 3 small sweet potatoes (2–3 inches long)
- 1 pound Pederson’s Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Whole30 approved mayo
- 2 tablespoons spicy mustard
- Pickled red onions
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Wash and dry your sweet potato. Use a fork to poke folks all over it. Set on a sheet pan and bake for 45 minutes or until cooked through. Remove the potatoes from the oven, let them cool.
- While the sweet potatoes cool, heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Crumble the ground sausage into the skillet and cook, breaking it apart with a spatula until browned and crumbly, about 10 minutes. Set aside. Keep the skillet on the stove over medium heat.
- Cut the potatoes in half. Scoop out most of the meat, leaving a thin layer on the skins. Mix the ground sausage and the sweet potato mash in a bowl with nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and salt.
- Add the olive oil to the skillet and place the sweet potato skin in the oil. Cook 2-3 minutes a side until toasty. Use tongs to transfer them to a plate or board. Use a spoon to fill the skins with the Italian Sausage mix.
- Mix the mayo and mustard together in a small bowl and drizzle over the stuffed potato skins. Add desired toppings. Serve and enjoy!
- for AIP use plain ground pork and season with salt, garlic powder, sage and onion powder (1 tsp each)
- Skip the mayo and mustard
- Serving Size: 1 potato skin
- Calories: 258.3
- Sugar: 2.6g
- Sodium: 515.1
- Fat: 17.6g
- Saturated Fat: 5.2g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 13g
Keywords: Stuffed Sweet Potato Skins