This grain-free, dairy-free Paleo Tuna Casserole is cozy and healthy. Made low-carb and Whole30-friendly with zoodles, plus egg-free and nut-free options!
The inspiration behind this paleo comfort food
My husband loves Tuna Noodle Casserole. I have to admit, I didn’t even know what it was until I met him. The first time I made tuna noodle casserole for my husband, I was vegan. Ha! Yes… I used to be vegan. Well, by the time him and I were serious I had added sea life back in to my diet. So I made him this dairy free, heavy, gluten-full tuna casserole with lots of dairy free cheese. He ate it. Bless his heart.
Tuna casserole just one of those things, like many American comfort food staples, we didn’t have in my house. My parents are Cuban and they immigrated to this country in the eighties. While I don’t think my moms cooking was very representative of Cuban cooking, she had her own style and it definitely didn’t include casseroles.
Recreating a paleo tuna casserole
I like to think of my mother as my greatest teacher. I inherited her passion for cooking and some of her skill too. My style has evolved from mimicking hers to include dishes from all over. This is greatly attributed from that knowledge of different jobs in kitchens, moving around with the military, and loving to go out to dinner, plus traveling!
Today I wanted to create something SUPER easy to make. A budget friendly, time friendly, low carb meal that fit in with my macros. I wanted something warm. It’s been a crazy few days and this girl needs all the comfort she can get.
THIS PALEO TUNA CASSEROLE HAS ALL OF THAT. AND IT’S TASTY AF!
The secret to a creamy, dairy free zoodle casserole
Like a lot of my dairy free creamy recipes, cashew cream is key! If you’re not already making my cashew creamer for your coffee and other cooking needs you are missing out! This stuff is thick, creamy, and thickens when warmed. It’s amazing. Get the recipe for dairy free Cashew Cream HERE.
Make this paleo tuna casserole egg free and/or nut free
To make this tuna casserole NUT FREE:
You can make a cream sauce by using sun butter or tahini. Mix 2 tablespoons with 1/2 cup water until smooth.
Or you can use cauliflower Alfredo, recipe HERE.
To make this tuna casserole EGG FREE:
Skip the mayo, mix 1 tablespoon of gelatin with cream sauce or use AIP cheese, recipe HERE.
Looking for more free recipes?
Healthy Tuna Noodle Casserole!
- 1 large zucchini
- 2 cans Safe Catch Albacore Tuna, in water
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 3 large cremini mushrooms
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2–3 tbsp paleo mayo (Primal Kitchen or Homemade, search one minute mayo for my recipe)
- 1 broccoli crown
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts, or cashews)
- 2/3 cup cashew cream (see text above for details)
- First, make sure you have your mayo and cashew cream ready!
- Pre-heat your oven to 325F.
- Zoodle your zucchini. Lay the zoodles flat on a clean kitchen towel and sprinkle with salt. Let them rest here to they release liquid while you prep the rest.
- Mince onion and garlic, add in to the casserole dish.
- Thinly slice mushrooms and add them to the dish too.
- Open and drain tuna cans, flake the tuna into the casserole dish.
- Add in the salt, pepper, 1 tbsp mayo, mustard, lemon juice and rosemary.
- Mix well.
- Wrap the kitchen towel around the zucchini and squeeze the water out.
- Add the zoodles to the casserole dish and toss to combine.
- Pour in the cashew cream. Gently Mix.
- Cut your broccoli crown into florets and mince them into 1/4 inch pieces.
- Toss with chopped pecans in a bowl and mix with remaining mayo.
- Spread this mix over the top of the casserole.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- It will be toasty on top and creamy inside! Make sure to use a knife to cut your pieces before serving or your zoodles will pull out the whole thing!
Use a 5×7 or 8×8 baking dish. Double the recipe for a full-size casserole!
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 272
- Fat: 20.7g
- Carbohydrates: 8.1g
- Protein: 14.6g
Keywords: Keto Tuna Noodle Casserole, paleo tuna casserole, zoodle casserole, keto casserole