These paleo Swedish Meatballs are gluten, grain, and dairy free! A low carb, decadent meal the entire family will love! Healthy and delicious!
The best paleo Swedish Meatballs
Meatballs are my favorite. They’re easy, family-friendly and they store really well! I’ve updated my paleo Belgium Meatballs to be low carb and Whole30 friendly. Dairy Free Swedish Meatballs that the entire family will love!
This was one of the first recipes on my blog, dated June 2015! Whoa! Well, it’s gotten a heck of a makeover. It’s easy, delicious and very much in line with the awesome flavor you’ve come to know from me.
The perfect paleo meal, snack, or appetizer!
Dairy Free Swedish Meatballs are perfect for game day snacks, just insert toothpicks, or served over your favorite low carb and grain free noodles or zoodles for a popular weeknight dinner! I know your family will love this recipe, same as mine did!
The secret to delicious dairy free Swedish meatballs
Want to get a creamy, dreamy, dairy free sauce? Make this cauliflower “heavy cream”! Steam 1 cup cauliflower florets with 1 clove garlic, until tender. Drain and gently mash, measure 1/2 cup mashed cauliflower. Blend 1/2 cup mashed cauliflower with 1/2 cup coconut cream, 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar, a pinch of salt, a pinch of black pepper. Blend until completely smooth. Chill to thicken.
Looking for more free recipes?
Delicious, dairy and gluten free Swedish meatballs that are Whole30 compliant, low carb and AIP friendly!
- 2 pounds grass-fed ground beef (I use this one)
- 2 teaspoons fine salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 1 large egg (sub 1 tablespoon gelatin for egg free)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, for cooking
For the Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free butter (I use this one), bacon fat or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour (I use this one)
- 1 tablespoon pastured gelatin (I use this one)
- 1 1/2 cups bone broth
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2-inch piece of lemon peel
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- splash of fish sauce
- 1 cup cauliflower cream (see post above for recipe), or use cashew cream (recipe here) or coconut cream.
- Heat a large, 16-inch skillet over medium-low heat.
- In a large bowl combine all of the meatball ingredients and roll them into about 20 meatballs.
- Add the coconut oil to the skillet and bring the heat up to medium power.
- Add the meatballs to the skillet and cook here, for 15 minutes turning them over every 3 minutes or so until they are browned all over.
- While the meatballs cook, prepare your sauce ingredients, measure them out etc.
- Transfer the meatballs to a plate and cover with foil. Quickly add the dairy free butter to the skillet, the coconut flour. Stir until lightly browned and toasty.
- Bloom the gelatin in the broth then add to the skillet and whisk until fully incorporated. Add in the dijon, coconut aminos, fish sauce, lemon and thyme. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until reduced by a 1/3
- Mix in the cream and simmer until thick. Add the meatballs to the skillet. Simmer for a few minutes, turning the meatballs over to coat in sauce.
- Serve warm! Spoon over zoodles, cauliflower rice or greens.
- Serving Size: 4 meatballs
- Calories: 467
- Fat: 32
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 32g
Keywords: dairy free swedish meatballs