Low Carb Sweet Potato Casserole (Whole30, Paleo, Keto, Dairy/Nut/Coconut Free)
Yeah, you read that right. This is low carb AND it has actual sweet potato in it. Let’s be honest, Thanksgiving isn’t going to be a day that revolved around macros or diets, keto or paleo. It’s about spending time with your loved ones. Celebrating everything we are thankful for.
We’re getting a little feisty with this low carb sweet potato casserole. Spiced and thickened with mayo and egg (trust me), and topped with crispy sweet bacon… that’s totally sugar free because coconut aminos are magic.
Thanksgiving: Made Whole
That being said, you don’t want to throw your whole way of eating out the window. For one, you want to actually ENJOY the day, and that means feeling great. Secondly, life goes on after Thanksgiving. Some folks brave the scary Black Friday crowds. Some have mountains of dishes and a house to clean. Others get on an airplane and fly home.
Yes, lots happens the day after Thanksgiving, and we can’t afford to be balls deep in an autoimmune flare, or brain fog or with digestive distress.
So, I’ve made a few paleo/keto dishes for you to enjoy. They’re real food, as its meant to be. Packed with flavor and beautiful. So no FOMO here.
Carbphobia: fear of carbs
It’s a thing. I see it all the time. CALM DOWN PEOPLE. It’s a sweet potato, not a deep fried glazed donut.
This recipe is a delicious compromise.
One sweet potato, mixed with some less starchy friends. A dish for your table that will let you indulge without the sugar spike.
I for one plan on ruling Thanksgiving as a CARB UP OR REFEED DAY. I plan to enjoy the day. Have this casserole, and green bean casserole, and turkey… and Brussel sprouts… and I don’t give a FUH how many grams of anything, anything has.
You know I’m all for eating well. I love paleo, I love keto. I also love to live my life.
Let’s be adults about this. Thanksgiving isn’t an excuse to binge. If you take the day to share a great meal with your loved ones, and don’t focus entirely on the food, you’re going to have a better time. So relax. Enjoy. Be Thankful.
Castaway Thanksgivng Menu:
Roasted Brussle Sprouts
…and obviously, THIS Low Carb Sweet Potato Casserole too!
- 1 large head cauliflower (4 cups diced)
- 1 large sweet potato (1 cup small diced)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup bone broth
Mix To Mash
- 1/3 cup primal kitchen mayo
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp garam masala (see notes)
- ¼ nutmeg
- 4 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos
- Steam/ simmer the cauliflower and sweet potato with the garlic cloves in a pot with a tight fitting lid until they are fork tender. Or you can throw everything in the pressure cooker and set to low for8 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350F.
- Add all of the cauliflower, sweet potato, garlic and broth to the bowl of your stand mixer (or a large bowl and use a hand mixer). Add in the pumpkin and mix with the paddle attachment on medium low speed.
- While it mixes add in the mayo, then the eggs one at a time. Add in the seasoning. Mix until thick and well combined. Taste it! Add more salt or spice as you see fit.
- Use a spatula to scrape all of the mash into a lightly greased casserole dish. Smooth out the top with a spatula and bake for 25 minutes.
- In the time, cut the bacon slices into 1 inch pieces. Toss in a small bowl with 2 tablespoons coconut aminos. When the 25 minutes are up, open the oven and carefully distribute the bacon over the top of the sweet potato. Try to lay the pieces flat and so they don’t overlap.
- Sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of coconut aminos all over the stop. Close the oven, set to 400F. Bake for another 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let it rest a few minutes. Garnish with fresh herbs if you like. Serve with a large spoon or spatula.
- Macros per serving: Calories 173, Fat 11.5, Carbs 13.9, Fiber 4.3, Protein 5.3
- IF YOU WANT TO GO THE TRADITIONAL ROUTE… OMIT THE GARLIC AND THE GARAM MASALA. DOUBLE THE CINNAMON AND ADD IN ABOUT 2 TABLESPOONS OF YOUR SWEETENR OF CHOICE TO THE VEGETABLE MIX. (IT WLL NO LONGER BE WHOLE30).
- Serving Size: 8