Despite the impending heat, we’ve had a spell of rather gloomy and rainy days here in O’ahu. Lot’s of clouds, some days I look out my window to see a wall of white and grey. The majestic mountains were hidden in a haze. When I bought nearly two pounds of this beautiful, wild caught, true cod at Whole Foods I had plans of grilling it. Maybe even making fish and chips with cassava flour dusted chunks of this white flaky fish. Alas, the inspiration came in the form of seafood chowder, a rather summery chowder, but still a warm, creamy and healing soup. Perfect for rainy, summer days.
Looking for more free recipes?
AIP, Paleo, Whole30 & LowCarb Cod Chowder
- 1lb true cod
- 2 medium carrots
- 8 fresh okra (green beans or asparagus would work too)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 celery leaf stalk
- 1 small vidalia onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp pink himilayan salt
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 cup bone broth
- 2 cups cauliflower cream (or coconut cream, or cashew milk)
- 3 slices bacon
- Slice all your vegetables in long thin strips or in diagonal slices.
- Slice your cod into 1-inch chunks. Cut your bacon into small pieces.
- In a large pot, cook bacon until crispy. Remove draining the fat in the pot.
- Add in onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Stir, sauteing often until tender.
- Add in okra, stir well. Add in chunks of cod.
- Add in seasoning. Stir well. Once the fish is lightly browned add in the broth and cauliflower cream.
- Bring to a rapid boil. Stir, reduce heat, stir in bacon & cover. Simmer for 8 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedge and lots of fresh cilantro!
- Serving Size: 1/3 recipe
- Calories: 898
- Fat: 40g
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 87g
Keywords: Cod Chowder