My mom sent me a beautiful pressure cooker- slow cooker- do it all spaceship looking thing when I told her my CrockPot died mid-bone broth.A super nice & generous early birthday present, the Breville Fast Slow Pro.
My first intro pre-pressure cooking! And I didn’t waste any time.
Obviously, the first thing I made was bone broth. In two hours, perfect, ridiculously rich & aromatic broth that gels when chilled. Ok, enough about the machine, let’s talk about food.
I ended up making this pressure cooker orange chicken because I bought a bag of blood oranges on sale at Whole Foods, for $6! Amazing right! They are however reallllyyy ripe so I’ve been using them up fast.
My mom’s restaurant, Green Gables Cafe, makes a signature dish, the Turkey Vaca Frita. A healthy rendition of a Cuban Classic, pulled turkey breast tossed in lots of caramelized onions, garlic, lemon juice & cilantro. I was going to re-create this with chicken, oranges & in 30 minutes. Boom. Challenge on.
Luckily my new spaceship has a saute setting and I was able to caramelize the onions & garlic in the pot, so this was truly a jiffy to make & the result was a sweet, refreshing dish that easily lends itself to a variety of side dishes. Not like takeout orange chicken, this pressure cooker orange chicken is a lighter, healthier ode to citrus.
Serve! We had it with rustic roasted vegetables & bone broth rice for the boys.
The next day I had the leftovers with plantain flatbread!
Looking for more free recipes?
PRESSURE COOKER, CHICKEN WITH ORANGE AND HERBS!
- 4 pastured chicken breasts
- 4 blood oranges (or regular oranges)
- 1 sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp lemon zest or lemon zest seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- Halve & squeeze oranges into a bowl, set aside.
- Slice onion into thin slices, mince garlic.
- Set pressure cooker to saute.
- Add in cooking fat, onion & garlic, cook stirring occasionally until tender.
- Add in chicken breasts, coconut aminos, orange juice & seasoning. Not cilantro!
- Close pressure cooker & set to pressure cook, poultry setting. Let it do it’s thang.
- When it’s done release the pressure manually. Open it up (insert Star Wars sound effects).
- Remove chicken and transfer to a large bowl.
- Then set cooker to reduce and simmer the liquid for a few minutes while you pull chicken.
- Use two forks to shred chicken. Fine chop the cilantro and toss with shredded chicken then add in the reduced liquid.
- Serving Size: 1 breast
Keywords: pressure cooker orange chicken