If you love banana bread, you’re going to love this 3-minute chocolate chunk banana bread mug cake! It’s 100% dairy, grain, and gluten-free. Made with wholesome ingredients and it cooks up in just 3 minutes!
Table of Contents
The Best Banana Bread Mug Cake
Bananas are a great base for lots of grain-free baking, I like the famous banana and almond butter banana pancake. In this 3-minute banana bread with chocolate chips, you’re using a handful of staple paleo ingredients or a snack or treat you can feel good about. It’s allergen friendly and the perfect sharing size!
Simple Ingredients for Paleo Banana Bread Mug Cake
- Grain-Free Flours: I used almond flour and arrowroot starch. If you want to make it lower in carbs you can use 1 tbsp coconut flour instead of the 2 tbsp arrowroot starch.
- Coconut Oil: I used organic coconut oil from Costco to keep it dairy free, you can also use butter or ghee!
- AIP Baking Powder: in true paleo fashion I used my aluminum, corn, and nightshade-free baking powder!
- One Ripe Banana: You want it to be at least speckled with dots, and easy to mash.
- Maple Syrup: this is my preferred sweetener for this, but you can use any liquid sweetener that’s comparable, like honey or a liquid allulose.
- One big mug: Just a regular-size mug won’t work, so grab your favorite oversized mug, I’m using my favorite Moon Mug!
Step By Step 3-Minute Chocolate Chunk Banana Mug Cake
Start by mashing your banana in a measuring cup, then add in the egg, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract and mix very well. Then you want to add in the dry ingredients and mix again. Lastly, fold in the chocolate chunks. Microwave on high for 2 minutes, then add 1-2 more pieces of chocolate to the top. Give it one more minute. Remove from the microwave and let it cook before digging in.
Once it cools down, grab some spoons and dig in. I like to pour a little almond milk on top or add a scoop of dairy-free vanilla ice cream!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use 3 tbsp tiger nut flour and 1 tbsp arrowroot for a nut-free version.
Mug cakes need the egg to rise, if you use a flax egg it will work but come out denser.
Use almond flour and 1 tbsp coconut flour, use a keto sweetener, and only 1/2 a banana, up the coconut oil to 2 tbsp.
Looking for more free recipes?
Ooey Gooey Banana Bread with melted chocolate ready in 3 minutes!
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch (or 1 tbsp coconut flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon grain-free baking powder
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- In a measuring cup, mash your banana until smooth. Then mix in the coconut oil, egg, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Add in the flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder. Mix well. Then add in the chocolate chunks, saving 2-3 pieces for later.
- Transfer the mix to an oversized coffee mug. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Top with remaining chocolate chunks, and cook for 1 more minute. Let cool before eating.
- Can I make it nut free? Yes, you can use 3 tbsp tiger nut flour and 1 tbsp arrowroot for a nut-free version.
- Can I make it egg free? Mug cakes need the egg to rise, if you use a flax egg it will work but come out denser.
- Can I make it low-carb? Use almond flour and 1 tbsp coconut flour, use a keto sweetener, and only 1/2 a banana, up the coconut oil to 2 tbsp.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 367
- Sugar: 28g
- Sodium: 389mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 46g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 7g
Keywords: 3 minute chocolate chunk banana bread mug cake