CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES HAVE ALWAYS BEEN MY FAVORITE TREAT!
I haven’t made them much lately because I didn’t have a recipe that fit into my current nutrient intake balance. This low carb paleo thing is really working for me, and eating outside of the parameters, of my set carb intake is a lot more than “breaking a diet”… it’s committing to feeling like crap for a few hours, even a whole day.
Another inspiration for these low carb chocolate chip cookies is my niece. My little two-year-old princess, with a very delicate, very stubborn case of candida. Any starch and she flares. You can imagine the difficulties in having a small child that can’t eat starches or sweets.
My sister results to making her all sorts of concoctions with almond butter, using only erythritol (a sugar alcohol) to sweeten, if you’re on keto or have candida issues, it’s a good option for the occasional treat. These keto cookies sure are a treat!
YOU MAY USE WHATEVER KIND OF SWEETENER THAT WORKS FOR YOU, BE THAT MAPLE SUGAR, BROWN SUGAR, HONEY ETC!
THESE COOKIES ARE SUPER EASY TO MAKE. TWO MEDIUM BOWLS, A FEW INGREDIENTS AND A FEW MINUTES AND YOU’RE IN BUSINESS.
Note, if you try to eat these low carb chocolate chip cookies hot, even warm they will be delicious but they will fall apart on you. Because they are made of mostly almond butter, ghee and melted chocolate, those ingredients need to cool to firm up. They are worth the wait. Such a satisfying, delectable and truly delicious cookie. Even better the next day!
MAKE THEM, SHARE, TAG ME!
How To Make These Low Carb Chocolate Chip Cookies: NUT FREE
- Making these low carb chocolate chip cookies nut free is easy. Here are the ingredients substitutions.
- Use organic sun butter instead of almond butter in the same amount.
- Use cream of tartar instead of baking soda (baking soda will turn the sun butter green).
- Use 2 tablespoons coconut flour instead of the almond flour.
- That’s it! The rest of the recipe is the same, and so it the preparation! They will look a little different, but still ridiculously good, and the same rule applies, wait until they cool down!
Low Carb Chocolate Chip Cookies (Paleo, Keto)
Low Carb Chocolate Chip Free Cookies with Nut Free Option
- 2 bowls
- 2 sheet pans
- parchment paper
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Tin Star brown butter ghee (or solid coconut oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup very fine almond flour (from blanched almonds)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sweetener (or raw honey, add to wet ingredients)
- 1 70%+ dark chocolate bar (chopped up)
- Pre-heat oven to 325F convection bake (or 350F bake)
- Set racks in the center of the oven.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In one bowl mix the almond flour, baking soda, salt, sugar and chopped up chocolate.
- In another bowl mix the almond butter, ghee, egg, and vanilla.
- Add the dry mix to the wet mix and fold in until it’s all well incorporated and dark brown.
- Shape 10 large 2 inch balls, like medium-sized meatballs.
- *Note: You can also make regular sized cookies, about 20.
- Place them 3 inches apart on the sheet pans.
- Bake for 12 minutes, check. The edges should be lightly browned and they should be soft but look done. If they still look wet, give them a few more minutes, no more than fifteen. Oven times do vary!
- Remove from the oven and let them cool for ten minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let them cool to room temperature.
- Store in airtight container at room temperature.
- A few notes on the ingredients first!
- I used Martha Antha creamy almond butter. Fine almond flour, is not the same as almond meal. I use Bob’s Red Mill, extra fine almond flour. As for the chocolate, I recommend Lily’s Dark Chocolate of Green & Black’s 70% dark cocoa. Chop it up roughly in to chunks, don’t shave it too much, and leave some bigger pieces for the nice chocolate pools.
- If you want to freeze the dough, let it thaw in the fridge before making cookies. Working with cold dough, you may need to add a few minutes to baking time.
- When making 10 large cookies, as opposed to 20 small ones the nutritional info is as such: FOR ONE GIANT COOKIE: 192 CALS 16 GRAMS OF FAT 10 GRAMS OF CARBS 4 GRAMS OF PROTEIN
Keywords: low carb chocolate chip cookies