Low Carb Chocolate Chip Free Cookies with Nut Free Option
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Tin Star brown butter ghee (or room temp coconut oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup very fine, blanched almond flour (see post for nut free)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup Lakanto Golden or other granulated sweeteners (or raw honey, add to wet ingredients)
- 1 70-90% dark chocolate bar (chopped up)
- Pre-heat oven to 325F convection bake (or 350F bake). Set racks in the center of the oven.Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In one bowl mix the almond flour, baking soda, salt, sugar and chopped up chocolate. In another bowl mix the almond butter, ghee, egg, and vanilla. Add the dry mix to the wet mix and fold in until it’s all well incorporated and dark brown.
- Shape 10 large 2 inch balls, like medium-sized meatballs. Note: You can also make regular sized cookies, about 20. Place them 3 inches apart on the sheet pans.
- Bake for 12 minutes, check. The edges should be lightly browned and they should be soft but look done. If they still look wet, give them a few more minutes, no more than fifteen. Oven times do vary!
- Remove from the oven and let them cool for ten minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let them cool to room temperature. Store in airtight container at room temperature.
A few notes on the ingredients:
- I used Martha Antha creamy almond butter. Fine almond flour, is not the same as almond meal. I use Bob’s Red Mill, extra fine almond flour. As for the chocolate, I recommend Lily’s Dark Chocolate, Alter Eco Blackout or Green & Black’s 70% dark cocoa. Chop it up roughly into chunks, don’t shave it too much, and leave some bigger pieces for the nice chocolate pools.
- If you want to freeze the dough, let it thaw in the fridge before making cookies. Working with cold dough, you may need to add a few minutes to baking time.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie (1/10)
- Calories: 192
- Fat: 16g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: low carb chocolate chip cookies