Making a southern classic Whole30, Paleo, AIP friendly and even keto…Yes, it’s possible! These dairy-free keto shrimp and grits are proof.
Shrimp and Grits have been going around my neighborhood and I wanted in.
Like a cold… one person made it & then everyone got the craving… including me! Yet I could not partake in the nightshade filled, grain-based classic. So I made my own. RICH. LOW CARB. PALEO. AIP FRIENDLY. SHRIMP AND CAULIFLOWER GRITS!
After I made bone broth from the snapper I baked, I just knew this was the week to make this dish and I love how this keto shrimp and grits turned out! SO full of flavor.
The fishbone broth turned out rich & garlicky with hints of lemon. Yum!
I used riced cauliflower for my grits, wild caught shrimp, bacon, onions, a little coconut aminos and a jazzy mix of nightshade free herbs & spices and boom, you get a totally get a great dairy keto shrimp and grits!
Re-creating this delicious southern meal was less complicated than I imagined…
It turned out absolutely divine, even without the nightshades.
Omit the seed based spices to make it AIP!
Enjoy my loves, this is a good one. I plan to give the pictures a little upgrade soon ? I hope you love these Whole30 compliant, AIP friendly, dairy free keto shrimp and grits.
Looking for more free recipes?
Low Carb remake of a Southern Classic. Keto, Whole30, Paleo Shrimp and Grits.
For The Grits
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos
- 1 cup bone broth (I recommend fish bone)
For The Shrimp
- 1 large onion
- 3 slices uncured, nightshade free bacon
- 1lb peeled, clean, wild caught shrimp
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp turmeric
- Start by ricing your cauliflower (remove greens and shred with a cheese grater or food processor), and mincing your garlic.
- Heat coconut oil in a medium-sized pot. Add in garlic & cauliflower, coconut aminos, marjoram, 1 tsp black pepper and bay leaves.
- Stir constantly for 2 minutes. Pour in broth. Stir well and cover. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium & cover. Let it simmer until the liquid is reduced by half.
- In the meantime, cook bacon in a large skillet, I like mine crispy, I cook it in cast iron, on medium high about 2 minutes each side. Remove bacon from skillet and lower heat to medium.
- Slice onion in ¼ inch slices and add into skillet.
- Lower heat again, to medium-low. Stir the onions occasionally. After about 8 minutes, they should be tender and sweet. Bring heat back up to medium-high and throw in shrimp with the spice mix.
- Stir frequently until the shrimp are pink and coiled. Remove from heat. Chop bacon into small pieces.
- You can also use parsley, cilantro or chives to garnish. Serve cauli-grits in a bowl, top with a heaping portion of onion & shrimp. Lemon or lime on the side. Sprinkle with bacon & herbs. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 225
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 35g
Keywords: Dairy Free Keto Shrimp and Grits