Making a southern classic Whole30, Paleo, AIP friendly and even keto….
Yes, it’s possible! These dairy free keto shrimp and grits are proof.
Shrimp and Grits have been going around my neighborhood and I wanted in.
Like a cold… one person made it & then everyone got the craving… including me! Yet I could not partake in the nightshade filled, grain-based classic. So I made my own. RICH. LOW CARB. PALEO. AIP FRIENDLY. SHRIMP AND CAULIFLOWER GRITS!
After I made bone broth from the snapper I baked, I just knew this was the week to make this dish and I love how this keto shrimp and grits turned out! SO full of flavor.
The fishbone broth turned out rich & garlicky with hints of lemon. Yum!
I used riced cauliflower for my grits, wild caught shrimp, bacon, onions, a little coconut aminos and a jazzy mix of nightshade free herbs & spices and boom, you get a totally get a great dairy keto shrimp and grits!
Re-creating this delicious southern meal was less complicated than I imagined…
It turned out absolutely divine, even without the nightshades.
Omit the seed based spices to make it AIP!
Enjoy my loves, this is a good one. I plan to give the pictures a little upgrade soon 🙂 I hope you love these Whole30 compliant, AIP friendly, dairy free keto shrimp and grits.
Dairy Free Keto Shrimp and Grits
Low Carb remake of a Southern Classic. Keto, Whole30, Paleo Shrimp and Grits.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 20
For The Grits
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos
- 1 cup bone broth (I recommend fish bone)
For The Shrimp
- 1 large onion
- 3 slices uncured, nightshade free bacon
- 1lb peeled, clean, wild caught shrimp
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp turmeric
- Start by ricing your cauliflower (remove greens and shred with cheese grater or food processor), and mincing your garlic.
- Heat coconut oil in a medium sized pot.
- Add in garlic & cauliflower, coconut aminos, marjoram, 1 tsp black pepper and bay leaves.
- Stir constantly for 2 minutes.
- Pour in broth.
- Stir well and cover.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium & cover.
- Let it simmer until the liquid is reduced by half.
- In the meantime, cook bacon in a large skillet, I like mine crispy, I cook it in cast iron, on medium high about 2 minutes each side.
- Remove bacon from skillet and lower heat to medium.
- Slice onion in ¼ inch slices and add in to skillet.
- Lower heat again, to medium-low.
- Stir the onions occasionally.
- After about 8 minutes, they should be tender and sweet.
- Bring heat back up to medium-high and throw in shrimp with spice mix.
- Stir frequently until the shrimp are pink and coiled.
- Remove from heat.
- Chop bacon in to small pieces.
- You can also use parsley, cilantro or chives to garnish.
- Serve cauli-grits in bowl, top with a heaping portion of onion & shrimp.
- Lemon or lime on the side.
- Sprinkle with bacon & herbs.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 225
- Fat: 10
- Carbohydrates: 14
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 35
Keywords: Dairy Free Keto Shrimp and Grits