Frittatas are the perfect meal prep, brunch or easy lunch kind of recipe.
One skillet, you can pack them full of nutritious goodies and they are oh-so-easy to make. The one part that can be a little tricky is cooking long enough or being scared that it will stick. No worries here. This QUICK mushroom and kale frittata is THIN and easy.
It cooks up in 20 minutes total and it lifts off the pan with ease. So easy I bet your spouse and kids and make it for Mother’s Day! Hint, hint.
Size matters! Using a small skillet will result in a more traditional, thicker frittata that will need to cook through longer. So pull out your 12″ skillet. I like Green Pan or my trusty Lodge Cast Iron for this.
Is That Cheese?
Yup! This Mushroom and Kale frittata is dotted with dairy-free cheese that gives it a lush creamy texture. You can make your own dairy-free cheese or buy it. Here are my recommendations:
Frittata: The No Flip Omelet!
Anyone else get anxiety when flipping eggs? I mean, I can flip pancakes and sunnies all day, but you ask me to fold and omelet and I get beads of sweat. That’s why I’m a frittata fan. You get all the goodness of loaded eggs without the pressure of performing.
Looking for more free recipes?
A thin and quick cooking mushroom and kale frittata with dairy free cheese!
- 2 tablespoons salted ghee, butter or coconut oil
- 6 ounces sliced shiitake or baby bella mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 cup diced dino kale
- 4 large eggs, whisked
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk or cashew milk
- 1/2 teaspoons fine salt, more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup diced dairy-free cheese (see post for options)
- Heat a 12″ skillet over medium heat and let it come to temperature while you prepare the vegetables.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of fat in the skillet and add in the mushrooms. Saute for 6-8 minutes until fully cooked and tender. Add in the garlic and kale. Saute for 3-4 until the kale is tender.
- Add the remaining fat to the skillet and use a spatula to spread it around while you evenly distribute the vegetables in one even layer on the skillet.
- Whisk the milk into the eggs with the salt and pepper. Then pour it evenly into the skillet. Cook here until the edges begin to look cooked. TIP: If using cast iron, periodically rotate the skillet on the stove so it cooks evenly.
- Once the edges of the eggs look done, but the rest is still fluid, put the skillet in the oven, top rack and set the broiler to 500F. Broil for 90 seconds – 2 minutes until fully cooked.
- Remove from the oven, use a knife to cut 4 slices and serve. 2 slices per person! Enjoy!
Macros below are calculated using Miyokos Vegan Mozz cheese and Elmhurst unsweetened cashew milk.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 377
- Fat: 32.2g
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 17g
Keywords: quick mushroom kale frittata