Crispy Keto Wings with Creamy Garlic Sauce (Baked, Paleo, Whole30)
I’m not sure why I’m so late to the wing game, but I came in swinging. Ever since I made my Crispy Ginger Lime Chicken Wings, we’re obsessed. Well, I’m obsessed, and my husband isn’t mad about it! These crispy keto wings are crunchy perfection. They really satisfy that need for crispy or crunchy food that I get on keto. I have JUST begun to add nuts back into my diet, so for a long time, pork rinds were my only solace.
When I make wings I am always so surprised at how they satisfy the meal and snack craving all at once. The flavor possibilities are endless, oh yes, more recipes to come! These wings are a win for the whole family! Even Jack, my almost 5-year-old, gobbled up like 8 of them! Bonus, they’re not fried. These crispy keto wings are BAKED BABY! Yes! A method I learned over on THIS BLOG.
Why Dry Rub?
Because EXTRA CRISPY is everything. Then you can dunk these wings in this put on all things good creamy sauce that can I just say makes this whole wing situation a full meal. The dry rub is nightshade and sugar-free because, hello… it’s me! That’s how we roll at the castaway kitchen! The mix is made of turmeric, cumin, mustard powder, Chinese 5 spice and black pepper! MMMmmmMM! Using my favorite baking powder, dehydration and bake method, this recipe is rock solid.
Homemade, Allergen Friendly, Paleo Baking Powder
Sift together equal parts cream of tartar, tapioca starch and baking soda. Done!
Creamy, silky, cool and garlicky. The sauce is a combination of soaked cashews, fresh avocado, raw garlic and avocado oil. A concoction that blends up in minutes. It’s almost mayo-like but not greasy or heavy although it packs lots of yummy fats and potassium. The perfect sauce to make these wings a complete meal. Also doubles as a killer salad dressing or mayo for my egg-free folks! The crispy dry rub wings combined with the creamy sauce is a magical combination!
My AIP KETO RESET reintroductions are going well. So far everything but butter and Lily’s chocolate has been okay. Although I’m trying to remember to take it easy with the nuts. I love nut butter a little too much ya know!
But I will be posting a Dairy Free Cashew-MCT coffee creamer recipe which is frothy and legit. So that’s cool. The more things I add back into my diet the more recipes I can make for all of you with varied ingredients! Yeay! However, I love feedback and if you like the AIP Keto recipes I can do more of those too!
If you have questions about the prep method, check out my Ginger Lime Wings, the post has step by step and a video: CLICK HERE.
Omit the mustard, black pepper, 5 spice and cumin. Use ground ginger, onion powder, and a pinch of nutmeg instead.
For the sauce, omit the cashews and use coconut cream. Omit the mustard seed powder. Viola!
- 2 pounds chicken wings
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (see recipe above)
- 2 teaspoons fine Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
Creamy Garlic Sauce
- 1/2 cup whole cashews
- 1 cup filtered water
- (or 6 ounces homemade cashew milk)
- 1/2 large hass avocado
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 250F.
- Cut the wings at the joints to separate the wingettes and the drumettes and remove the wing tips.
- In a small bowl combine all of the rub ingredients (baking powder, salt, spices).
- Add all of the wingettes and drumettes to a large bowl. Add the dry rub and toss well to coat the wings. Add in the avocado oil and toss to coat.
- Place racks over your sheet pan, and lightly grease. Arrange your wings on the racks.
- With one rack in the middle and the other on the bottom, put your sheet pans in the oven and roast at 250F for 30 minutes.
- Switch the pans from racks and then crank the heat up to 425F. Roast for 40 minutes.
- Remove the sheet pans from the oven and use a spatula to gently separate the wings from the racks.
- While the wings cook, put the cashew to soak. Submerge them in water and sprinkle with salt. After 30 minutes drain and rinse the soaked cashews.
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve the wings with the cool garlic sauce on the side.
- Dip, eat, enjoy!
- Serving Size: 4