Instant Pot Chicken and Mushroom (Paleo, Whole30, Keto)
What’s not to love about an Instant Pot chicken and mushroom recipe? Especially when it cooks up creamy and bursting with flavor, in no time at all, in America’s favorite appliance, the Instant Pot… the electric pressure cooker!
This Instant Pot Chicken and Mushroom makes a big batch so you’ll have plenty of leftovers to repurpose. Serve over cauliflower rice or with roasted veggies. Toss with zoodles or bake into a casserole. Add more bone broth and make it a soup!
So many easy meal options with Instant Pot Chicken and Mushroom, the recipe that keeps on giving!
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups sliced baby bella or cremini mushrooms
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons fine salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ cup coconut cream or cashew cream (see notes), divided
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins gelatin (optional)
- Heat your pressure cooker on sauce mode.
- Add in the avocado oil, onion, garlic and bay leaf. Sauté for 8-10 minutes until tender. Add in the mushrooms and rosemary. Sauté for another 5 minutes until browned and tender.
- Add in the chicken thighs and seasoning. Sauté, stirring occasionally until the chicken is mostly browned. Then add in the vinegar and stir, scrapping up any seasoning that stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Add in ¼ cup of cream. Cancel the sauté function, close the lid and set to pressure cook on high for 10 minutes.
- When it’s done, release the pressure manually. Open the lid and set to reduce or sauté until it comes to a simmer.
- Stir, shredding the chicken with tongs or forks. Reduce the liquid by half, then stir in the remaining cream and gelatin until smooth.
- Transfer the chicken and sauce to a serving bowl. Let it cool for 5-10 minutes before serving, the sauce will get extra creamy in this time.
- To make this recipe AIP: omit the black pepper and nutmeg, add in 1 tsp ground ginger. Use the coconut cream.
- For cashew cream recipe: https://thecastawaykitchen.com/2016/04/dairy-free-cream/