AIP English Muffins with a nice crusty outisde and soft inside!
- 1/2 cup full-fat canned coconut cream or milk (shake well)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons AIP baking powder
- 1/2 cup tigernut flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot starch, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 large green plantain
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (more for brushing)
- Add the vinegar to the coconut cream and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350F and lightly oil a sheet pan or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together the tigernut, arrowroot, gelatin, baking powder and salt.
- In a. blender puree the green plantain with the coconut milk mix and olive oil. Use a spatula to scrape that mix into the bowl with the flour.
- Fold, do mot mix. Tilt the bowl with one hand and use the other to wield the spatula, folding the flour mix into the plantain mix until fully incorporated.
- Let the dough sit for 10 minutes to thicken, set it in a warm area of the kitchen. Once it’s thickened up it will look nice and fluffly, but still feel a little sticky. Add in 2 tablespoons more arrowroot starch and use the spatula to fold it to a pliable dough, gently. Don’t over mix.
- Use dusted hands to shape 4-6 balls. Place them on the sheet pan, set 3 inches apart as they will spread.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes (depending on oven or bun size). When the English muffins are a nice golden color and very firm to the touch remove them from the oven.
- Let them cool completely before cutting open or the center will be gooey.
- Enjoy! Great with salted palm oil shortening and salt smeared on top. Store in an airtight container on the counter for 3 days.
- Stirring and mixing both denote a more vigorous action. Folding is usually used for items where something has previously been whipped (such as egg whites or cream) or where tenderness is desired and thus less mixing is advisable (muffins & biscuits). Source
- READ THE TIPS AND TRICKS AND THE FAQ’s SECTION!
- Serving Size: 1 bun
- Calories: 435
- Fat: 17.1g
- Carbohydrates: 61g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: AIP English Muffins