Grain free, protein packed power bowl
- 2 tbsp grass fed butter (or coconut oil)
- 1 large sweet onion
- 8oz grilled artichoke hearts
- 2lbs 85% lean ground beef
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp pink salt
- 1/2 cup broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (full fat, canned)
- For the seared vegetables
- 12 asparagus spears, trimmed (I cut off almost half of the stalk)
- 8 stalks green onion (trim the tops so they will fit into the skillet, save them)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- more salt, to taste
- 1 ripe hass avocado
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, this will take 8-10 minutes, especially if you’re using cast iron or multi-clad skillets. Use this time to peel and dice your onion.
- Once the skillet is hot, you can test this by sprinkling some water in it, when it beads you know it’s ready. Add in the butter and then the onion. Cook, stirring often until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Next add in the ground beef, break it up with your hands as you add it in, don’t just throw in the block of beef. Quickly begin to stir and continue to break it apart with the spatula (or a whisk).
- Add in all the seasoning and mix in. When the beef is browned add in the artichoke hearts. If yours come in water, drain the water before adding them in. Stir well and bring the heat up to medium high. Keep stirring for another 5 minutes. At this point set a second skillet to heat for the veggies.
- The beef mixture should be a nice dark brown by now and their might be some build up on the bottom of the skillet, that’s good! Now add in the broth, as you stir it in, scrape the bottom of the skillet to un-stick all the goodness from the bottom and mix it in to the liquid.
- Bring to a simmer, let the broth reduce by half. While this is simmering Let’s make those veggies. The skillet should be hot by now, so add in the coconut oil. Then add in all of half of the asparagus, depending on the size of your skillet. Sprinkle with salt, like salt bae, for way up high. Let them sit for 3 minutes, then turn over. Repeat. Remove from heat. Do the same thing with your green onions.
- Okay! Back to the beef. Add in the coconut milk, stir in and remove from heat. Let it sit for a few minutes, you can take this time to finish up the seared veggies.
- Set those on a platter or cutting board. Ladle your beef and artichokes into 4 bowls. Arrange asparagus and green onion around the edges. Sprinkle with cilantro. If you’re adding avocado, this is the time to halve it, remove the seed. Peel the skin off by pulling back on it carefully. Place it cut side down on the cutting board. Slice it horizontally and gently slant in down. Then use your knife to pick up quarters of it and place it on your bowls.
- Boom. You’re a Spiced Bowl Making Boss!
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 512
- Fat: 37g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 32g
Keywords: spiced beef bowls