Nightshade free blackened chicken with tender balsamic winter squash: subtle seasonal sweetness and fall flavors in a Whole30 compliant 30 minute meal.
For the Squash
- 12 ounces diced acorn squash or kabocha squash
- 1 crown broccoli diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
For the Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken tenders
- 2 teaspoons cacao powder or carob powder
- 2 teaspoons decaf ground coffee (optional)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoon ghee or tallow, melted
- Pre-heat oven to 400F.
- Toss the diced squash and broccoli with salt, cinnamon and olive oil. Spread out over a sheet pan, drizzle with balsamic vinegar, and roast for 10 minutes on the center rack.
- Combine the chicken and all of the seasonings in a bowl. Toss well to coat, then mix in the melted fat. Toss well to coat again, then arrange the tenders flat on a sheet pan. Add the sheet pan to the oven, bottom rack.
- Roast everything at 400F for 20 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven and then broil the veggies for 2-3 min.
- Serve with extra balsamic and avocado. Serves 4.
Make sure your balsamic isn’t syrup. Some aged balsamic is all grape must or concentrate — always check the label!
12.2g net carbs per serving
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 460 calories
- Fat: 19.4g
- Carbohydrates: 17.7g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Protein: 53g