Cozy fall goodness in a skillet! This dairy-free Creamy Pumpkin Butter Bean Recipe is your new addiction!
- 5 slices bacon
- 2 cups diced pumpkin (about 1/4 kabocha squash)
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse pepper
- 2 shallots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 sprigs of rosemary, divided
- 1/2 cup bone broth
- 1 can of butter beans
For Cashew Cream
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup water
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Measure everything out and set up your workstation. Then start by cooking your bacon until crispy in the skillet. You will need the rendered fat!
- While the bacon cooks, peel and dice 1/4 kabocha squash or 2 cups pumpkin. Mince your shallots and garlic. Remove the bacon from the skillet and set aside.
- Cook the pumpkin for a few minutes, add salt and pepper. Add in the shallots, garlic, and 2 springs of rosemary, whole. Cook, stirring occasionally until aromatic. Then pour in the bone broth. Lower heat, and cover.
- While the pumpkin cooks, prepare the cashew cream. In a blender combine the cashews, water, juice of 1 lemon, 1 garlic clove, salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast. Blend until smooth, set aside.
- Mince the remaining rosemary and chop up the bacon.
- Once the pumpkin is soft, open the lid, and mash with a spoon until most of the cubes are mushed. Stir in the cream, minced rosemary, and the beans. Simmer until you get the desired thickness for your creamy pumpkin butter beans. Lastly, stir in the bacon. Now you’re ready to dig in.
- I like to serve with shaved red onion on top and scoop it up with crusty bread, but this recipe would be amazing with braised short ribs or crispy tofu as a side dish.
- You can use butternut squash in place of pumpkin.
- You can replace the cashew cream with heavy cream if you do dairy, add lemon after the fact.
- You can make this vegan by using plant bacon and veg broth.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 305
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 770mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 17g
Keywords: creamy pumpkin butter beans