A quick pickle recipe for your beets and carrots without sugar!
- 2–3 cups peeled and diced beets
- 4–6 carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
- 2 cups filtered water
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 cloves
- 2 sprigs fresh dill or rosemary, optional
Quick Pickle Instructions
- Add the beets to a sterilized quart-sized jar. Add the carrots to another. Add 2 cloves garlic, 1 clove, and 1 sprig of herbs to each jar as well.
- Heat the water and vinegar over medium heat in a 2-quart saucepot. Add in the salt.
- Bring to a light simmer and stir until salt is dissolved for about 8 minutes.
- Pour the brine into the jars until the veggies are submerged.
- Let them sit out for 30 minutes on the counter. Then cover with a tight-fitting lid and store in the fridge.
- Always use a clean fork to retrieve veggies, and these will last several weeks.
- Start by boiling your beets and carrots for a few minutes. Then draining and placing in sterilized jars (see notes for how to do this).
- Make the brine as instructed above, and pour it over the veggies. Close with a tight-fitting lid.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, with a rack on the bottom, put the jars in the boiling water (carefully), you want the water to come up to an inch from the top. Process for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the water, let cool, and store in a cool, dry place.
- The best way to sterilize a mason jar for pickling and canning is to submerge it in boiling water. A great tip to have a large pot of water with boiling water for this purpose and later to process the jars.
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 45
- Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 9.3g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 1.2g
Keywords: sugar free pickled beets