A classic apple pie made with real food ingredients!
For the Crust:
- 1 cup hazelnut meal
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour + more for dusting
- 1 cup cold lard, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1 egg white
- pinch salt
- 5 dates, seeded and soaked overnight, in 1/2 cup filtered water
- 5 organic Gala Apples
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 vanilla bean scraping
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Sift together flours and salt, into the food processor.
- Cut lard into flour by pulsing together in a food processor until it looks like wet sand.
- Add in egg white and water (spoonful at a time) pulse until it forms into a ball.
- Remove from food processor and wrap in plastic, refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Separate two large sheets of parchment paper. Place on counter and dust with tapioca flour. Place the ball in the center and pat down into a disk.
- Dust the disk with tapioca flour and cover it with the second sheet. Use a rolling pin to roll out into a 10in a circle. Roll gently in an outward motion. Remove top sheet & carefully place the crust into pie pan- 8″ or 9″.
- If it cracks, use wet fingertips to repair the cracks. Smooth the pie crust up the rim of the pie pan, but don’t let it fold over. Collect the leftover scraps and roll them out into a small sheet, use to cut out designs for the top, I made hearts and dots (set these aside).
- In a 1/4 inch pattern make holes with the fork in the dough to prevent bubbling. Bake at 400F for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool to the touch.
- Pre-heat oven to 375F
- Peel your apples cut them in half & core them. Slice them in half-moon slices, about 1/8 inch thick.
- Blend your soaked dates with the water blender until smooth.
- In a large saucepot, on medium heat, melt coconut oil, mix in date puree. Add in apples, vanilla, sea salt, nutmeg + cinnamon. Gently mix, to not break the apples.
- Cook until apples release liquid, they are tender and aromatic. About 5-8 minutes. Let it cool enough to handle.
- Pour apple mixture into the pie crust, setting aside a handful of the best-looking slices. Spread out the apple mix. Then arrange the best-looking slices on the top layer in a pattern.
- Place your design cutouts on the top. Bake at 375F for 35 minutes. If eating that same day, you can let it sit out. Or wrap up and store in the fridge overnight.
- You can use any sweetener you like: 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup, instead of the dates
- Almond flour will work in place of hazelnut flour.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 419
- Sugar: 18g
- Sodium: 97mg
- Fat: 31g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: paleo apple pie