Easy to make, easy to eat. This is the kind of meal that makes you happy to be at home for dinner. Full of savory goodness this AIP, Whole30, and Keto-friendly feel-good recipe is a weeknight hero.
1 ½ pound skirt steak, cut into small cubes
1 teaspoon baking powder, see notes
1 tablespoons coconut aminos
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 sprigs rosemary
1-inch piece of lemon rind
1 teaspoon fine salt, divided
3 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil, divided
½ cup sliced onion
2 cloves garlic minced
1-pound trimmed broccoli florets
Juice of 2 lemons
- Heat a 16” cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- While it comes to temperature, toss the steak cubes with the baking powder until well coated.
- Add in the aminos and fish sauce, rosemary sprig, lemon rice and ¼ teaspoon salt, mix well and let it marinate until the skillet gets hot.
- When the skillet comes to temperature, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Put half of the beef in the skillet, adding one piece at a time, making sure none of the pieces are touching each other.
- Cook here, undisturbed for 2 minutes, then use tongs to turn the pieces over and cook for 2 more minutes. The cubes should have a nice, dark, glossy crust on the sides that were browned.
- Remove the cooked pieces from the skillet and brown the rest of the meat in the same way.
- When every piece has been cooked, add them all back in to the skillet to mix with the rosemary, lemon and remaining marinade, then transfer the beef to a bowl and set it all aside. This last step should happen quickly so you don’t overcook the beef.
- Put the remaining oil in the skillet, add the onion and garlic and sauté, stirring often until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add in the broccoli and remaining salt, and sauté, stirring often until tender and bright green, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice, deglazing the skillet and mixing all the flavor into the broccoli.
- Add the beef back into the skillet, mix well and serve right away!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. To reheat, sauté on low until warmed through.
To make corn free baking powder sift together equal parts baking soda, cream of tartar and arrowroot starch. Store in an airtight jar in a cool dry place.
Substitutions: To make this coconut free use gluten free tamari, liquid amino or balsamic vinegar.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 395
- Fat: 20g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Protein: 46.1g
Keywords: AIP lemon herb beef broccoli