A decadent pie that actually good for you!
- 1 cup hazelnut meal
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour + more for dusting
- 3/4 cup cold lard, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 tbsp cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white + water (egg wash)
- pinch salt
- 2 cups roasted Kabocha squash, seeded, no skin
- 1 ripe persimmon (optional)
- 5 soaked dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut cream
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp Great Lakes Beef gelatin
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk (from the egg wash)
- pinch fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- pinch ground clove
- 1 vanilla bean scrapping
Roast the Squash
- Halve and seed 1-2 kabocha squash. Roast it at 400F for 30minutes or until tender, let cool and spoon out meat. Set aside.
- Sift together flours and salt.
- Cut lard into flour by pulsing together in food processor until it looks like wet sand.
- Add in egg and pulse until it forms into a ball.
- Remove from food processor and wrap in plastic, refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Separate two large sheets of parchment paper.
- Place on counter and dust with tapioca flour.
- Place the ball in center and pat down into a disk.
- Dust the disk with tapioca flour and cover with the second sheet.
- Use a rolling pin to roll out into a 10″ circle.
- Roll gently in an outward motion.
- Remove top sheet and carefully place the crust into pie pan by flipping it in.
- If it cracks, use wet fingertips to repair the cracks. .
- Fold excess over the edge and use a fork to gently imprint on it.
- Brush with egg wash.
- In 1/4 inch pattern make holes with a fork in the dough to prevent bubbling.
- Bake at 400F for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool to the touch.
- In a blender: puree pumpkin, persimmon, dates, coconut milk, and oil until smooth.
- You may need to use prod to keep it moving.
- Add in spices, salt, vanilla and gelatin powder, blend in until smooth.
- Add in egg and blend until smooth.
- Pour into cooled crust.
- Bake at 350F for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center come out clean. Let cool to room temperature before serving.
- Enjoy! I didn’t make any, but coconut whipped cream would be pretty sexy on this pie too!
- Serving Size: 1/8 Pie
- Calories: 412
- Sugar: 4g
- Fat: 31g
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 15g
Keywords: Paleo Pumpkin Pie