Smokey and crispy salmon roll flavors in an easy-to-assemble bowl!
- 1 cup short-grain rice
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tsp salt
For the Salmon
- 1 pound of salmon, deboned, skin on
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 6 ounces bonito flakes
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos or tamari
- 1 tablespoon wasabi (more to taste)
- 1 Japanese cucumber, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos or tamari
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 white onion, shaved
- 2 green onion, sliced
- pickled ginger
- sesame seeds
- Start by rinsing your sushi rice until the water runs clear and the grains of rice are shiny and translucent.
- Combine the rice and water in a pot, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
- At the 20-minute mark, without opening the lid, move the pot off of the heat and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- In a small sauce pot simmer the rice vinegar, salt, and sugar until they dissolve. Once the 10 minutes are up, fluff your rice with a fork and gently mix in the vinegar mix.
- Let sit to cool while you prep the salmon. Preheat oven to broil HIGH. Pat salmon bone dry. Light salt on both sides.
- Lightly oil a sheet pan, and place salmon on it skin side down. Broil for 3 minutes. Flip and broil for 3-4 minutes until the skin is crispy and salmon is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven. Use tongs or tweezers to remove the skin from the salmon. Set aside.
- Use forks to shred the salmon meat and let it cool down for a few minutes, while it cools chop up crispy salmon skin. You can mix this into the salmon mix in or save it as a topping to your dish, your choice! I like to mix it in.
- In the salmon bowl mix in bonito flakes. Taste as you go, I usually add 6oz.
- In a ramekin, dissolve 1 tablespoon wasabi into 1/4 cup tamari or coconut aminos. Mix into salmon.
- Taste, and adjust with more bonito, salt, or aminos as needed.
- Prep your toppings: using a mandolin shave your white onion and store in cool water until ready to serve. Finely slice your green onion, and make your cucumber salad.
- Build your bowl: scoop the white rice onto one half and fill the rest with salmon. Top the salmon with shaved onion, sprinkle green onion in the middle. Add the cucumber salad to one side, and pickled ginger to the other. Sprinkle sesame seeds all over. Dig in!
- This dish is best served at room temperature or slightly warm, not hot.
- Please see FAQ’s
- For grain free “sushi rice” see my sticky cauliflower rice recipe
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 421
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 401mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 50g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 30g
Keywords: Crispy Salmon Skin Roll in a Bowl