Comfort food at its best, this Greek Lemon Chicken Soup is easy and delicious.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup small diced onion
- 1/2 cup small-diced celery
- 1/2 cup small-diced carrots
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 7 cups bone broth
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup basmati rice (or rice substitute)
- 1 1/2 cup shredded chicken breast
Heat a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Once it comes to temperature drizzle in the olive oil.
Add in the diced onion, celery, carrots, and bay leaves. Saute for 4-5 minutes or until tender and aromatic.
Add in the garlic, then the salt and pepper and continue to mix and saute until aromatic.
Add in the bone broth and bring it to a boil.
Shred your pre-cooked chicken breast, you will need 1 1/2 cups
Mix the eggs and lemon juice.
Whisk the eggs and lemon juice vigorously, until frothy.
Take 2 ladle fulls of hot broth from the boiling pot and slowly add it to the egg mix while you whisk. This is tempering the eggs, so they don’t turn into scramble when you add them to the pot. Mix together until foamy and cool, then set aside.
Add the rice to the pot and bring it back to boil, cover and let cook for 10 minutes. Once the rice is done and tender, add in the shredded chicken and mix in.
Lastly, mix in the tempered egg mix and quickly remove the soup from the heat. Serve hot and garnish with herbs.
- For egg-free: mix lemon juice with 1/2 cup cashew or cauli cream
- You may substitute rice with cauliflower rice or Miracle Rice.
- Use rotisserie chicken to make this super easy, or you can boil 1 chicken breast in salted water for 30 minutes, then shred using a hand mixer.
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cup
- Calories: 260
- Fat: 7.5g
- Carbohydrates: 25.3g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Protein: 21.9g
Keywords: Avgolemono Greek Lemon Chicken Soup