Easy and delicious cauliflower pasta! This paleo gnocchi is allergen friendly and very authentic!
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cup cassava flour (more for dusting)
- Bring a 5 large pot of water to a boil. While it heats up cut your head of cauliflower into pieces.
- Add the cauliflower and salt to the boiling water. Boil for 10-15 minutes, until fork tender.
- Drain the water and place the tender cauliflower while still hot – very carefully – in a blender.
- Add the egg to the blender and blend on high until smooth. It should be a very thick puree.
- Use a spatula to transfer the puree into a large bowl. Let it cool down for a few minutes, stir occasionally to help this along.
- Add in 1 cup cassava flour and mix in with a spatula until the mix begins to resemble dough. Slowly add in the remaining cassava flour until you’ve got a solid dough texture. If it’s very sticky, add 1 tablespoon more flour at a time, until it’s not.
- Knead the dough and make ball, transfer it to a dusted work area.
- Flatten the ball to make a rectangle shape. Cut the regtangle into 5 even pieces.
- One at a time, roll each piece into a long tube, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Slice the tubes with a knife to make square shapes pieces, about 20 per piece. Dust the pieces with flour then roll them on a fork to make the gnocchi. See the video below.
- Repeat with all of the dough, to make aprx 100 pieces total.
To freeze: spread your fresh gnocchi on a sheet pan or tray and put in the freezer until hard. Transfer to a ziplock bag. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. To cook: follow the same instructions as above.
To pan fry: heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat until it comes to temperature. Add in 2 tablespoons of butter. Add as many pieces of gnocchi to the pot as will fit without them touching. Cook without disturbing for 2 minutes then turn over gently with a tong and cook another 2-3 minutes. Add in minced herbs and garlic or shallots and more butter if desired and saute to coat. Repeat with remaining gnocchi.
To boil: Bring 3 quarts of water to boil in a 5-quart pot. Salt generously. When the water is at a rolling boil, add the gnocchi to the water and boil until most of them float. Drain immediately and rinse with cool water. At this point, you can add sauce or pan-fry!
- Serving Size: About 10 pieces
- Calories: 112.1
- Fat: 1.2g
- Carbohydrates: 24.3g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Protein: 2.9g
Keywords: cauliflower gnocchi