A simple to make, allergen friendly bread alternative. These keto thin buns are perfect for your low carb bread needs. Gluten and grain free. Made with coconut flour and flax meal.
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- ¼ cup fine ground flax meal
- 1 tablespoon pastured gelatin
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Optional: Everything But The Bagel Seasoning
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl combine the warm water, baking soda and cream of tartar. Add in the apple cider vinegar and stir, let it fizz.
- In a medium bowl sift together the coconut flour, gelatin and salt. Then whisk in the flax meal and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk the one whole egg, then pour half of it out into a small ramekin and set aside. Add the egg whites to the remaining egg and whisk together. Then add the eggs and olive oil into the baking soda water mix and whisk for 2 minutes until frothy.
- Next, add the flour mix ½ cup at a time to the wet mix until fully incorporated.
- Set the bowl aside for 5 minutes for the mix to thicken. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or lightly oiled parchment paper.
- Use a ¼ cup measuring cup to make 6 mounds on the baking sheet. Gently flatten to 1/4 inch thick and shape them into circles, 2-3 inches across.
- Add a splash of water to egg you set aside. Brush your buns with the egg wash and sprinkle with bagel seasoning. Bake on the middle rack for 30 minutes.
- Let them cool and enjoy! Use two rounds to make a full bun or enjoy these rounds as slices of bread.
If you can’t do flax meal, you may substitute with Psyllium husk. Like with Flaxseed, it is best to buy it whole and grind up when you need it.
- Serving Size: 1 round
- Calories: 119
- Fat: 7.4g
- Carbohydrates: 5.5g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Protein: 7.5g
Keywords: keto thin buns