Low sugar, an allergen-friendly apple cake that is spongy and moist and bursting with flavor!
For Apple Topping
- 1 green apple, thinly slices
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon Lakanto Golden
For Apple Cake
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed (or arrowroot powder, see notes)
- 1/4 cup Lakanto Golden
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon grain-free baking powder
- 1 green apple, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 3 room temperature eggs
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a small bowl toss, the thinly sliced apples with 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil and sweetener. Then arrange in an overlapping pattern in the loaf pan. Make it pretty, this will be the top of your cake. Save the bowl for the wet ingredients.
- In a large bowl whisk together the dry cake ingredient; coconut flour, flax seed (or arrowroot), cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg. Whisk until well combined, then mix in the diced apple.
- In the bowl where you tossed your apples, whisk together the eggs, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, and apple sauce. Whisk until smooth and foamy, you want to get air into the eggs to help the cake rise!
- Add your wet mix to the dry mix and fold in with a spatula until fully combined. Use a spatula to transfer the batter to the loaf pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until a deep golden brown and firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and let cool for 30 minutes. Use a thin spatula or knife to run along the edges, make sure it’s not stuck to the pan before turning over onto a cutting board.
- Slice with a sharp knife and serve! Store wrapped airtight in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Net carbs: 5.6g per slice (with flax and lakanto)
- The arrowroot starch will give the apple cake a more breadlike feel. A cumby loaf that’s not as spongy. Both are amazing, it’s a preference thing!
- Use whatever granulated sweetener works for you. For the color, I would stick to a golden/brown sweetener over a white one.
- Omit cinnamon for low histamine, use a mix of ground ginger and ground nutmeg
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 155
- Fat: 12.8g
- Carbohydrates: 14.5g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Protein: 2.5g
Keywords: gluten free apple cake