Decadent but really healthy pink paleo cupcakes without food coloring.
FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 1 cup fine blanched almond meal
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp fresh coffee grounds (optional, you may use cinnamon instead)
- 1 cup ground up dark chocolate chips (buy chocolate chips, grind them in a blender or food processor)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar truvia (you may also use 2/3 cup coconut palm sugar or Swerve)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup beet puree (from canned or roasted beets)
For Strawberry Buttercream
- 2 cups fair trade red palm oil shortening
- 1/2 cup raw honey (or confectioner’s Swerve)
- 1 cup freeze dried strawberries (grind in your blender and sift)
- 1 tbsp beet puree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Prep your ingredients, measure everything out, prep your beet puree and your ground-up freeze-dried strawberries.
- In the bowl of your Kitchen Aid stand mixer with the paddle attachment combine: 1 cup almond meal, 2 tbsp coconut flour, 1/4 tsp salt, 2 tsp baking soda, 1 tbsp coffee grounds, 1 cup ground chocolate chips, 1/3 cup sweetnenr.
- When the dry ingredients are well combined, with the paddle attachment on medium speed, add in the coconut oil, vanilla extract. Add in the eggs one at a time. Lower the speed and add in the beet puree until just combined.
- Line your muffin tin with cupcakes liners. Fill each cup with 1/4 cup of mix. Will make 12 cupcakes. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes.
Make the Frosting
- Wash your mixer bowl and paddle.
- Add in the palm oil shortening and with paddle attachment whip until smooth.
- Add in the honey and salt. Add in the beet puree.
- Lastly, on slow speed, add in the freeze dried strawberry dust.
- Once well incorporated bring the speed up to high until smooth.
- When the cupcakes are cool, pipe the frosting on top.
- TIP: sift your ground strawberries, save the larger crumbs to garnish.
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 166
- Sugar: 15g
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0g
Keywords: paleo chocolate strawberry cupcakes