a decadent and elegant fall treat
For the Pumpkin:
- 1 large kabocha squash
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ cup melted ghee
For the Vanilla Balsamic Drizzle:
- 1 cup aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 vanilla bean pod
For the Whipped Coconut Cream:
- 2 cans chilled coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup toasted pecans for serving
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Halve the pumpkin and scoop the seeds out. Cut it into quarters and use a sharp knife to peel it, see the images in the post. Cut the quarters into wedges no thicker than 1 inch thick, about 14 slices total.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper, put the pumpkin wedges on the sheet pan and sprinkle with the pumpkin spice and cinnamon. Toss to coat, then arrange the wedges so that they are all lying flat and pour the melted ghee all over them. Sprinkle with salt and roast for 40-45 minutes until browned and tender. I like them the toastier the better.
- While the pumpkin roasts, put the balsamic vinegar in a small sauce pot, on a low simmer for 20-30 minutes. Open your vanilla bean pod, scrape out the insides and add it to the vinegar, and add the whole pod in there, too. After 10 minutes, remove the pod, and stir the vinegar. After about 20 minutes, it should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Give it a taste; when it’s thicker and sweet tasting with a tang, it’s ready. Remove it from the heat. As it cools, it will get thicker and thicker!
- When the pumpkin is ready, remove it from the oven and let it cool. This is a good time to toast your pecans. You can toast them in a dry skillet on medium heat. Do not let them burn! They toast in 1-2 minutes.
- Open the cans of coconut cream and spoon out the firm cream into a large bowl. Whip the coconut cream with the vanilla extract and salt. Put the bowl back in the fridge while you get your egg beaters ready and measure out your vanilla extract.
- Grab your bowl of cream and whip until smooth, add in the vanilla and pinch of salt. Whip until smooth. Return to the fridge until ready to serve! If it’s cold where you live, this will keep for 10-20 minutes out of the fridge before it starts to melt!
- To serve, plate two slices of pumpkin, top with toasted pecans, a dollop of whipped cream, and drizzle with balsamic vanilla drizzle.
If you want to make this sweeter, you can add 2 tablespoons of maple syrup to the pumpkin while it roasts, but I don’t think it needs it 🙂
15.8g net carbs per serving
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 435.1
- Fat: 35.4g
- Carbohydrates: 22.1g
- Fiber: 6.3g
- Protein: 5.1g
Keywords: healthy pumpkin pie