An incredibly convincing marinara sauce made without nightshades. Tomato free marinara safe for those on the autoimmune protocol.
- 2 medium beets (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon lard, duck fat or tallow
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup bone broth
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons dried Italian Herb Blend
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (omit for AIP)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Peel and slice beets into 1/4 inch slices. Toss with lard and 2 tablespoon vinegar and lay flat on a sheet pan. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes until caramelized and tender. They should be a little sticky and sweet and dark around the edges.
- Scrape the beets and all the goodness from the sheet pan into a blender. Add the remaining ingredients and blend on high until smooth.
- If it’s too thick for your liking add more broth, if you want it thicker, simmer it stove top until it reaches desired consistency.
- Store in the fridge in a mason jar for up to 10 days.
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 45
- Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2.3g
Keywords: tomato free marinara