If you’re looking for an easy, one-pot chicken dinner look no further than this Coconut Lime Chicken. This Caribbean-inspired meal the entire family will love! Serve it over cauliflower rice and it’s a weeknight hero.
Table of Contents
One-Skillet AIP Chicken
This is a super healthy, easy-to-whip-up recipe! It’s savory, tangy, and beautifully saucy. I love using boneless skinless chicken thighs for it, but chicken breast will work too. Fewer dishes is a win for me. While the chicken cooks, I steam a bag of cauliflower rice and boom! Dinner is ready to serve in 30 minutes. When you’re eating AIP it feels like you’re always cooking. That’s what happens when you can’t really grab and go meals. Easy but really tasty recipes like this one make it so much easier.
If you’re asking, what is AIP? It’s an autoimmune paleo elimination protocol. One I use to help manage my autoimmune disease and keep it in remission. You can read more about it here.
About the Ingredients
Other than being a one-pot recipe, this Coconut Lime Chicken has less than 10 ingredients! Boneless skinless chicken thighs are a wonderful alternative to breasts. Not only are they more affordable, but they’re fattier so they cook up tender. The sweet red onion plays wonderfully off of the tangy lime and the coconut cream brings it all together. A truly cohesive one-pot meal that is so easy to make but tastes like a restaurant dish.
Step by Step for Coconut Lime Chicken
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use 3-4 chicken breast instead of chicken thighs. Sear for 5 minutes each side before braising.
No, a sweet onion or Vidalia onion will work too.
Sure! You could also use orange. Any citrus will work!
Then you can use my dairy free cashew cream or cauliflower cream depending on your needs. Check out my dairy free cream 3 ways post here.
The skillet in the images is my 15′ Lodge Cast Iron skillet. I use castiron for most of my cooking. Check out my Cast Iron Care video here.
I like serving it over cauliflower rice to soak up the sauce. Some roasted green veggies like asparagus which cook quickly pair nicely too.
Looking for more free recipes?
Caribbean-inspired key lime chicken that’s super healthy and easy to make!
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, more as needed
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup canned coconut cream
- 1/2 cup bone broth (code CASTAWAY for 25% off)
- 1 lime zested
- 2 limes, juiced
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. While it comes to temperature slice your onion. Melt the coconut oil in the skillet and add in the onion. Saute until tender.
- While the onion cooks, pat your chicken dry and season with salt and oregano.
- When the onion is tender, move it aside, add more oil to the skillet if needed and out the chicken thighs in the skillet so they are laying flat. Put the onion on top of them.
- Sear for 4 minutes each side. Then add in the lime zest, then the lime juice, broth and coconut cream. Mix up.
- Use tongs to accommodate everything in the skillet, so your chicken has full contact with the bottom of the skillet and is surrounded by sauce and onions. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and lower the heat to simmer. Cook here for 15 minutes.
- Open the lid, if you want less sauce, bring up the heat and reduce it for a few minutes. Garnish with cilantro and lime slices. Dig in!
- This recipe was updated with fresh pictures 2/2021, the original post was from 2015
- Serving Size: 2 thighs with sauce
- Calories: 372.2
- Fat: 18.6g
- Carbohydrates: 6.9g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 41.5g
Keywords: coconut lime chicken