Perfectly crispy gluten free fried okra!
- 1 pound fresh okra
- 2 cups pork panko
- 1/2 cup cassava flour (or other starchy flour)
- 2 teaspoon adobo
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup mayo
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- Lard, tallow, olive oil or coconut oil for frying
- Heat a 12″ inch deep skillet or dutch oven over medium heat, with about 2 cups of oil in it. You need enough to make an inch deep of oil for frying.
- While the pan heats, slice your okra in half lengthwise. Then mix all of the dry ingredients (flour, pansko, adobo, salt) in large bowl with a whisk. In a second bowl mix the wet ingredients (mayo, eggs, mylk, mustard).
- Once the oil is hot, ready to fry (a wooden spoon inserted should make is sizzle), begin coating the okra. Dip each piece, one by one in the wet mix then in the dry mixm then put it in the oil. You will need to fry in a few batches, don’t crowd the pot.
- Fry the okra for 2-3 minutes each side until golden brown. Remove from the oil using tongs or a fork and place on a paper towel-lined dish. Repeat until all of the okra is fried.
- You can keep the done okra in a warm oven while you fry the rest.
- Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce. We love this as a side dish to grilled fish or pulled pork.
See post for substitutions.
- Serving Size: 1/6 recipe
- Calories: 272.5
- Fat: 22g
- Carbohydrates: 14.9g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Protein: 8.9g
Keywords: gluten free fried okra, paleo fried okra