Paleo Strawberry Shortcake is made with a buttery almond flour biscuit, decadent strawberry compote, and rich creamy yogurt. A healthy twist on a classic summer treat.
For the Strawberries
- 2 pounds ripe strawberries, fresh
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup, honey, 1/4 tsp stevia or granulated sweetener of choice (erythritol works too).
- pinch of salt
For the Biscuits
- 2 cups fine almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (see this post for paleo recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 tsp Pyure Stevia extract (or 1/4 cup honey)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup avocado oil (or melted ghee)
- Full Fat Triple Cream Yogurt, Greek Yogurt, Coconut Yogurt or Coconut Cream
- Rinse your strawberries thoroughly. Trim the tops and dice up. Add all of the berries to a medium sauce pot. Cook over medium heat.
- Stir in the salt and stir well. Cook here, stirring occasionally and mashing them up until the berries begin to break down and release liquid. Stir in the sweetener and keep cooking down (this takes about 30 minutes altogether). When you run a wooden spoon through the mix it should leave streaks so you see the bottom of the pot, that’s how you know it’s thick enough.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a sheet pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Then make a well in the center and add in the wet ingredients. Whisk the eggs and oil thoroughly until thick and creamy. Then fold it into the dry mix.
- Use a spatula to mix until a dough forms. Shape 5 buns, biscuit shapes and place them on the sheet pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes-30 minutes until they are fluffy and lightly browned on top.
- Remove from the oven, let cool and enjoy.
- Slice in half like a bun, spoon the strawberry compote generously on the bottom half then top with a dollop of something creamy! Enjoy right away!
- Assemble these right before you serve them. All the components keep really well at room temperature so you can bake ahead of time and then serve later.
- I have not tried this recipe with flour substitutions.
- Macros are with stevia-sweetened compote
- Serving Size: 1 shortcake
- Calories: 541
- Fat: 45g
- Carbohydrates: 15.5g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Protein: 14g
Keywords: paleo strawberry shortcake