Shredded Beef with Mushroom Gravy: tender beef slow cooked with bone broth mushroom gravy, flavored with onion, rosemary, garlic, and ginger. Keto comfort food.
- 1 1/2 – 2-pound chuck roast
- 3 teaspoons fine salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon five spice
- 2 tablespoons salted ghee or lard
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1-pound sliced mushrooms
- 2 sprigs rosemary, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-inch nub of ginger, peeled and sliced
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 cup bone broth
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt the beef with 2 teaspoons fine salt and set aside.
- Heat a large (16 inch) skillet over medium heat. When it comes to temperature, melt the ghee in the skillet. Add in the onion, mushrooms and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes or until very tender and aromatic. Add in the rosemary, garlic and ginger and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice and deglaze the skillet, then remove from the heat. Transfer the onion and mushroom mix to a blender, then add in the bone broth and blend until a puree forms.
- Drizzle ½ tablespoon olive oil into the hot skillet and sear the meat for 3 minutes each side, then sprinkle with the rest of the dry seasonings.
- Pour the mushrooms gravy into the pot of your slow cooker or pressure cooker. Add the seared and seasoned meat to the creamy sauce.
- Close the lid and set to cook on low for 6 hours in the slow cooker. If you’re using a pressure cooker, cook on high for 50 minutes, then release the pressure manually.
- If you make this in the pressure cooker, shred the beef then reduce the sauce for 8 minutes. If you used the slow cooker, shred the beef, stir well and serve hot!
- Omit the 5 spice and white pepper to make this AIP.
- 5.8g net carbs per serving
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 363.7
- Fat: 16.3g
- Carbohydrates: 6.9g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 46.3g