The perfect easy and healthy dinner! Get dinner on the table in about 30 minutes with meatballs, mushrooms and kale! A meal the entire family will love that is healthy and simple!
For the Meatballs:
- 2 pounds ground beef, 85% lean (I use this one)
- 2 teaspoons fine salt (I use this one)
- 2 teaspoons herbs de Provence (I use this one)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fine ground almond meal, or flax meal
- 1 cup pork panko (I use this one), or use almond meal instead
- 1 large egg (or flax-egg)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease, lard, ghee or coconut oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon fine salt, divided
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 bunch lancinato/ dino kale, about 3 cups chopped up
- Juice of 2 lemons (I use this juicer)
- 2 teaspoons coconut aminos
- Preheat oven to 400F. Combine all of the meatball ingredients except the olive oil in a large bowl. Mix well. Shape 20 medium meatballs
- Brush a sheet pan with some of the olive oil, and line up all the meatballs on the sheet pan and brush the remaining oil. Place in the oven (with the mushrooms, see post above) and cook for 25 minutes. While these are in the oven, make the kale.
- Heat a large, 16” inch, skillet over medium heat. When it comes to temperature, put the cooking fat in the skillet, the onion, bay leaf and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook here, stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes, or until very tender and browned.
- While the onion cooks down, prepare the kale by ripping the leaves from the stems, bunching up the torn leaves in a tight pile and slicing thinly with a knife. Then sprinkle the pile with the remaining salt and massage the leaves until they become wet, dark and tender.
- Add the kale to the onions and stir well. Sauté here for 8 minutes or until bits begin to brown. Stir in the lemon juice and coconut aminos and sauté until the liquid has simmered off.
- Remove the meatballs from the oven and mushrooms and serve all together!
Serving is 1/5 of the recipe, divide kale in 5 even piles before servings and distribute mushrooms the same way. 5 meatballs per dish!
- Serving Size: 1/5 recipes
- Calories: 529
- Fat: 37g
- Carbohydrates: 7.9g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Protein: 42.2g
Keywords: healthy meatballs kale and mushroom dinner