Delicious and easy bacon wrapped onion bombs are the perfect potluck recipe! Hello Summer!
- 2 pounds grass fed ground beef, 85% lean
- 1 large egg (or 1 tablespoon flax meal)
- 2 teaspoons coconut aminos
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Spicy Brown mustard (I use this one)
- 1/4 teaspoon 5 spice (I use this one)
- 1/2 cup Pork Panko (I use this one)
- 2 round red onions
- 12 slices sugar-free bacon
- Optional: BBQ Sauce, see post for options
- Pre-heat oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl mix together the ground beef, eggs and all of the seasoning and the pork panko until well combined.
- Trim the ends off of the onion, then carefully slice the onions along one side piercing through 3 layers only. Peel the skin off of the onions then carefully separate the top 3 layers of the onion so they remain whole, except for the opening made by the cut you made. You need 6 onion skins to fill.
- Fill each onion with about 1/3 pound of beef and close the onion around it. Then use two slices of bacon to tightly wrap the stuffed onions so the ends line up on the same side and place seam (where the bacon ends meet) side down on the sheet pan. If some of the bacon does not want to stay in place, use toothpicks to make it stick.
- Roast in the middle rack for 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve as it or brush with BBQ sauce if desired.
- Goes great with coleslaw. See my recipe here.
- Serving Size: 1 Bomb
- Calories: 435
- Fat: 29.6g
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Protein: 44g
Keywords: Bacon Wrapped Onion Bomb