low carb green bean casserole, gluten and dairy free
The Green Beans
- 2 pounds green beans,fresh, trimmed
- 5 slices sugar free bacon
- 2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 cups sliced onion, 1/4 inch thick slices
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil or butter
- 2 cups diced cauliflower
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 3 egg yolks
- Pre-heat your oven to 400F.
- Combine the cauliflower, garlic cloves and coconut milk in a sauce pot, cover with a lid and heat over medium heat. Cook here until the cauliflower is fork tender.
- In the meantime, arrange your green beans side by side vertically in rows, in one flat layer over 2 sheet pans. Sprinkle the mushrooms all over. Cut the bacon into small pieces and distribute it evenly over all of the veggies. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Roast for 20 minutes, middle and bottom rack. Rotate the pans after 10 minutes.
- In the meantime heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the oil or butter then the onions. Sprinkle in the salt. Use tongs or forks to gently toss. Then cover with a tight fitting lid. Stir every 5 minutes until green beans are ready. They will begin to get tender, then translucent, then browned and finally soft and sweet with some toasty bits!
- By now the cauliflower should be soft. Carefully transfer all the contents of the sauce pot to a blender. Add in the seasoning and the nutritional yeast. Blend on high until smooth, add in a little bit of water or broth if needed. Then add in the egg yolk one at a time until fully combined
- When the green beans are ready remove them from the oven. They will be browned and crunchy, try not to eat them all.
- Arrange them in a casserole dish, I like to arrange them in little bunches with the greens beans (with the mushrooms and bacon pieces) all facing the same way, makes it easier to serve. Pick a few pieces of bacon out and set them aside.
- Pour the cream sauce all over the green beans and use a spatula to spread it out. Then top with the caramelized onions and those bacon pieces you set aside.
- Pop the casserole in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and serve!
- Serving Size: 1/6 recipe
- Calories: 190
- Fat: 10.4g
- Carbohydrates: 15.1g
- Fiber: 6.5g
- Protein: 9g
Keywords: low carb green bean casserole