This fun twist on Romesco sauce is somewhere between the traditional earthy and smoky sauce and BBQ sauce. A mix of fried red onions, toasted cashews and warm spices. Get all the antioxidant goodness of cacao in this deliciously savory recipe! Romesco Sauce with Chicken!
- ½ cup melted Cacao Butter
½ red onion, sliced
¼ cup raw cashews (hemp hearts or pumpkin seeds for nut free)
½ teaspoon garam masala
½ teaspoon toasted ground cumin
½ teaspoon fine salt
¼ cup coconut aminos
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon low carb date syrup (or 10 drops stevia glycerite)
- 2 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat a small sauce pot over medium heat with the cacao butter.
Once hot, add in the onion and cashews. Fry, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, or until the onions and cashews are golden and toasty.
Pour everything into a blender, add in the seasonings, aminos, vinegar and sweetener if you’re using it. Blend until smooth.
- To make the chicken:
- Pre-heat oven to 425F.
- Toss the chicken thighs, bacon fat, salt, and pepper together then lay the thighs flat on a sheet pan, so none of them over lap or touch.
- Roast for 30 minutes, then flip over and roast another 10. Use a spatula to scrape them up off the sheet pan.
- Serve over greens, drizzle the sauce all over them!
Substitutions: Almonds or hemp hearts may be used instead of cashews and in equal amounts.
If you can eat nightshades, try using smoked paprika instead of the garam masala!
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 365
- Fat: 23g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 30g
Keywords: romesco sauce with chicken