Delicata Squash Steak Nachos (Whole30, AIP, Keto)
The other day as I was meal prepping a little, making a little lunch I became entranced with the sexiness of the crispy delicata squash rings. As I layered them on the plate just inches away from freshly seared steak these nachos pretty much made themselves!
The best thing about the Whole30 Steak Nachos is that it is a one skillet recipe! Yes, you heard that right! Oh, also AIP, KETO and absolutely delicious!
Nacho Your Abuela’s Nachos
I get it, this dish doesn’t have corn tortillas, or cheese or salsa… but the overall meal template is a-la-nacho! Crispy base, meaty and saucey toppings. Crunch, savory, and cool flavors all together. These are fun to eat and they will hit the spot! Whoot Whoot! Whole30 Steak Nachos baby!
The Low Down on Squash
Delicata squash is a winter squash. Longer and smaller than butternut or acorn squash. It has a yellow and green striped skin that is delicate enough to eat. You can cut them in half, seed and makes boats out of them, but I am in love with slicing them into rounds! Their slightly nutty and sweet flavor is absolutely delicious and they are only 10 grams total carbs per cup!
If you can’t find delicata squash at your grocery store you can use half-moon slices of acorn squash or rounds of peeled butternut squash! The trick to beautiful, tender, yet crispy squash chips for your nachos is to cut them in even, 1/4 inch thick pieces.
Timing Is Everything
Any meal can seem hectic or like too much work if you’re not organized. This meal has three parts, all made on the same cast iron skillet and by cooking everything in a specific order, it makes it very efficient.
You cook the bacon first, then you cook the steak in the bacon fat. Then when you have all that rendered steak and bacon fat in the skillet you fry up the squash rings! Boom. Whip up a little cream and you’ve got yourself a feast.
The Avocado Crema
Creamy, cool, delightful! This crema is like a guacamole mouse! Feel free to lick the spatula!
Delicata Squash Steak Nachos (AIP, Whole30, Keto)
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 40
- 4 slices sugar free bacon
- 1 teaspoon fine salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 pound pastured skirt steak or flap meat
- 1 small delicata squash (about 6 inches long)
- 1 ripe hass avocado
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- More cilantro
- Pickled red onions
- Diced Strawberries
- Thinly sliced radishes
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon to the skillet while it heats. Cook about 5-7 minutes per side until very crispy. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Score your steak on once side in shallow cuts creating a grid like pattern.
- Sprinkle all over with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano.
- Cook on the hot skillet, in the bacon grease for 4 minutes a side. Do no move once you put it down, you want it to get a nice char.
- While the steak cooks, slice your squash into 1/4 inch thick slices. Run the knife around the inside of the rings to seed.
- When the steak is done remove it from the skillet and add the squash, in one even layer to it. Cook 3 minutes a side until they are toasty! Cook 6-8 at a time, to not crowd the skillet.
- While the squash cooks combine the avocado, garlic, lemon juice, cilantro, 1/2 a teaspoon salt and coconut cream in a blender of food processor. Pulse until a light green, almost smooth sauce forms. Use a spatula to gather it together.
- Then the squash is done, layer it all over a large plate. Sprinkle with a little salt.
- Use a big scoop to shape a mound of avocado crema. Then slice you steak into very thin slices and put it next to the crema.
- Chop up the bacon and sprinkle it all over. Add remaining garnishes! Dig in!
- You can use your hands if you’re into messy meals! But no one will judge you if you use flat wear!
- Serves 2. Macros per serving! Calories 380 Fat 24g Carbs 10g Fiber 3g Protein 31g
- Serving Size: 2