Keto, Whole30, AIP!
- 1 or 2 large collard green leaves
- 1 cup peeled, de-veined shrimp
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 half hass avocado
- 1 small carrot
- 1 stalk green onion
- 1/2 head of butter lettuce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- For Sauce: Garlic Cilantro “Mayo”
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 heaping tbsp coconut milk fat or cream (from chilled coconut milk cans)
- 2 tsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp dried cilantro (you can use fresh too, mince to add)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- pinch salt
- In a large skillet bring a few cups of water to boil, you want the skillet full 1 inch from the brim.
- Fold collard green in half, with the back side of the leave outwards and in a diagonal angle, cut the stem off and trim the vain.
- Place your leaf in the skillet with boiling water.
- Fill a large bowl with ice water.
- Flip your leaf. When it is bright green, 1 minutes or less, remove from skillet and place in ice water.
- You can prepare two leaves in case one breaks! Or you are making more than one wrap.
- Dump the water out of the skillet into your sink, carefully.
- Place the skillet back on the heat, and add 3 bacon slices to it.
- Cook a few minutes each side to desired crispiness.
- While it cooks, remove leaves from ice water and place on clean kitchen towels or paper towel to dry.
- Remove bacon from skillet, place on a plate, and drain a little of the fat out of the skillet.
- Add shrimp to the skillet with salt.
- Sautee on high, stirring often, until shrimp are coiled and pink.
- Cooking time will vary depending on the size of your shrimp, but it should not take more than 5 minutes.
- Set shrimp aside with bacon,
- Cut carrots into matchsticks: slice in long diagonal slices, and then cut your diagonal slices into sticks vertically.
- Slice green onion in long diagonal slices.
- Open your avocado, peel half of it and cut that half into 4 quarters.
- Cut a head of butter lettuce in half, and then cut that half into two quarters.
Make the sauce:
- use an immersion blender or small food processor
- Mix all the ingredients until smooth
- Lay blanched collard green on cutting board lengthwise (landscape).
- Arrange bacon, carrots and green onion along the vein of the leaf leaving about 1 inch on each side.
- Keep filling the wrap like this, shrimp, avocado, then the sauce (about 2 tbsp- you will have extra).
- Like you’re making a burrito!
- Lastly add the greens, then holding then down with your thumbs and index fingers, use the rest of your hands to fold in the sides of the wrap.
- While holding the sides of your wrap in with your pinky’s, maneuver your thumbs and index fingers to begin to fold it over and create the wrap.
- Fold and roll. Fold and roll.
- Roll it forward while maintaining pressure on your fingers to hold it together.
- One it’s wrapped up it should hold together well.
- If the sides open a bit, that’s ok, just keep in mind when eating it so the insides don’t fall out.
- Serving Size: 1 wrap
- Calories: 481
- Fat: 39g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 34g
Keywords: Collard Green Shrimp and Bacon Wrap