An AIP friendly slow cooker bbq pulled pork
- 3.5lb Boston butt (boneless pork shoulder)
- 2 tbsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tbsp cumin (omit for AIP, sub horseradish)
- 1 tbsp black pepper (omit for AIP, sub ground ginger)
- 2 tbsp carob powder
- 1/2 tsp five spice (omit for AIP)
- pinch cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste (store bought, little jar of concentrate)
- 1/4 cup nightshade free mustard, see comments (omit for AIP)
- 1/4 cup white wine or rice wine vinegar
- 5 garlic cloves
- Remove pork from wrapping, remove any ties it might have on.
- Place it over a piece of parchment paper or over the butcher paper it came wrapped in.
- Mix all the dry seasonings in a bowl: carob, pepper, cumin, salt, five spice.
- Pat it on heavily all over the pork. Don’t rub. Just pat it on thoroughly.
- Place the pork butt in the bowl of the slow cooker.
- Add in tamarind, aminos, mustard, vinegar and garlic.
- Use clean hands to toss and mix all the ingredients together.
- Set the cooker to LOW.
- Cook for 8 to 10 hours.
- Turn over halfway through cooking, the meat won’t be submerged in fluid, this way it will cook evenly.
- When done, remove from slow cooker, and place on a sheet pan or cutting board.
- Using two forks, in a crisscross motion shred the pork.
- You can reduce the liquid left behind in the slow cooker as a sauce to pour over!