- 3lbs english cut short ribs, cut in to 2-3 inch pieces
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 onion
- 1/4 head cabbage
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 1/2 cup papaya (If you can’t find it, use more pineapple)
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1 tbsp mustard powder (sub ginger powder for AIP)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper (sub carob powder for AIP)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 cups beef broth, liquid, warm or room temperature
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1/2 cup Otto’s Cassava flour
- 3 rosemary sprigs
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Prep you veggies: small dice your onion, shred cabbage & mince garlic.
- Dice your bacon.
- In your Dutch oven, on the stove, on medium-high heat, cook bacon, until crispy.
- Remove from the Dutch oven and set aside.
- Sprinkle the short ribs with a little salt. Add them to the Dutch oven and brown in bacon fat, about one minutes each side.
- Once browned on all sides, remove and set aside.
- Add in all the veggies and sauté until tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add all the seasoning and the flour. Stir well.
- Immediately add in the broth and vinegar, stir well, it will begin to thicken like gravy.
- Add in the fruit and coconut aminos.
- Add the short ribs and the bacon. Stir well.
- Bring to a boil. Simmer for 5-8 minutes stirring often. If the sauce seemed lumpy, keep stirring as it comes to a boil and it should smooth out.
- Add in rosemary sprigs. Cover Dutch oven with lid and place in the oven, on the middle rack, for 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, open and remove the bone and rosemary stems carefully.
- I cook it 4-5 hours before dinner, that way I can turn off the oven and let it sit until it’s time to eat. The I open up the lid, use tongs to plate 2 ribs per person and then use a ladle to scoop up all the saucy, vegetables goodness and pour it over them. We had these with roasted jicama fries and broccoli rabe.