Nightshade Free Bihari Kabab
One day I get a call from my bestie J, she’s asking about coconut milk yogurt. She’s on her second Whole30 and is wondering if coconut milk yogurt is compliant, and how to make it. First off, yes, it is as long as it’s unsweetened. It’s easy to make, albeit it takes 24 hours. Second, why? Bihari Kebab. Meat kebabs marinated in yogurt, spices & papayas for melt in your mouth meat. I was all over it! Obvs, the original recipe packs some cayenne & paprika… which are a no go in this house, but I’ve come to love my nightshade free Middle Eastern & Asian foods. This dish is no exception.
Real talk: Plan ahead. The yogurt alone takes 24 hours to culture & then you have to marinate the meat for 8-12 hours.
Is it worth it? Abso-freaking-lutely.
For coconut milk yogurt:
Pre-heat oven to lowest temp. When it gets to 100F. Turn it off.
I do half full fat coconut milk & half cream.
You only need a cup for the recipe, but I make a quart at a time, because it takes 24 hours no matter how much you make.
In a sterile quart sized mason jar mix your coconut milk & cream. Stir the powder from two live culture probiotic capsules.
Place uncovered mason jar in the oven, close. Turn on oven light. Boom. DO NOT OPEN OVEN FOR 24 HOURS.
DASSIT. Just plan ahead- no oven cooking for a full 24 hours.
Nightshade Free Bihari Kabab
- Prep Time: 480
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 505
- 3 lbs tri-tip or beef tenderloin
- 2 large, ripe papaya
- 3 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 inch nub of ginger
- 1 cup coconut milk yogurt
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp coriander
- 1/2 tbsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- pinch of clove
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper
- coconut oil
- sheet pan
- cooling rack
- aluminum foil or parchment paper
- Peel & slice your onion.
- Fry in a large skillet with coconut oil or ghee on medium heat until golden brown.
- Remove from skillet and set to drain & cool on paper towel lined sheet.
- Next in a large mortar with pestle or in your food processor: make a paste with onions.
- Add in spices, salt etc and mix well to combine.
- Cut your meat in to 1/4 inch thin strips, place in large bowl or container; add in onion + seasoning paste.
- Mix well. Add in yogurt. Mix well.
- Set in the fridge for 8 hours, covered.
- After 8 hours, remove marinating meat from the fridge.
- Cut papayas in half, seed & then spoon out papaya meat in to the marinating mix. Mix thoroughly with clean hands.
- Leave out, marinating and coming to room temperature for an hour.
- Prepare a sheet pan, line with foil or parchment paper. Place rack over it.
- Thread meat slices on the skewers & arrange on the prepared sheet pan with rack.
- In oven, place a rack all the way to the top. Pre-heat broiler to 425F.
- When the oven is hot, place kebabs on the top rack. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Carefully, open oven and turn the kababs over. Cook another 5 minutes. Done!
- If you like your meat a little more well done, you can cook it up to 15 minutes, anymore and it won’t be as tender.
- Serving Size: 6
This dish is flavor packed! I like to serve it with large green salad, lime, avocado & paleo naan or flatbread.