Ahi Tuna, Mint & Strawberry Salad
I started my third Whole30 yesterday! I truly love Whole30’s. Although most of my meals are whole foods, I do have a weak spot for paleo-fied treats. I know some people can eat them all the time & feel their best. That’s not me. Whole30’s bring me back to being satisfied with simpler, cleaner meals. This Whole30 I’m focusing on nutrient density, I am using cronometer (thanks Eileen!) to track my nutrients, In 2 days, I’ve already noticed that I’m not eating enough calcium & iron. Also, that I need more omega 3. Enter, this amazing salad.
Strawberries are back in season & I’m in love all over again. These were especially juicy & sweet. Did you know, strawberries help curb sugar cravings? Win!!!This salad was as flavorful as it was colorful! I love ahi tuna because it cooks up so easily, it’s not super fishy & it’s nice and fatty! I dressed it with lemon & olive oil, but ACV Vin would be great on this too!
- 4oz Ahi Tuna Steak, wild caught, sashimi grade
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 2-3 cups butter lettuce
- 2 sprigs mint
- 1/2 haas avocado
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- Heat a cast iron skillet on high heat.
- Sprinkle ahi steak with garlic powder & salt.
- When skillet is hot place ahi on it. Turn every 2 minutes.
- Cook on all flat sides evenly.
- Remove from skillet & set it to rest while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Arrange butter lettuce on a plate, drizzle with olive oil & lemon juice. Sprinkle with salt.
- Peel & slice avocado. To get a really pretty avocado: Remove the seed, peel that skin off then place it open side down on the cutting board. Slice in across the width in 1/8 inch slices. Then gently use fingers to slant the slices to once side. Slide knife under the avocado & pick it all up and place it on the plate.
- Next sprinkle your sliced strawberries over your greens.
- Pick whole mint leaves off the sprigs and add these to the plate too!
- With a very sharp knife, slice your tuna against the grain & arrange over salad.
- Serve with extra lemon.